Oct 24, 2013

port of call: Beaufort, North Carolina

the historic burial grounds.  I have a thing for old cemeteries I guess, and this one is definitely my favorite so far.  It felt like an enchanted forest.
I briefly considered leaving him here, but then remembered that I'd never find my way home alone.
the dinghy dock.  you can just barely see the bottoms of their respective sailboats at anchor at the very top of the photo.

Beaufort's a real charmer!  We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and decided to stay through Wednesday.  It's location makes it an ideal stop for cruisers on their way to the Bahamas and Caribbean.  We weren't too far from the dinghy dock, and only minutes away from the shops and restaurants that lined Front Street.  We had gorgeous weather on Wednesday morning, so we took some time wandering through the historic district.  The town is rich with history and pirate folklore, and it's also the setting for the Nicholas Sparks books A Walk to Remember and The Choice.  I always appreciate little trivia like that. We didn't stay on land for too long though, because the wind really picked up and Riley was concerned about our anchor holding. We had never anchored out with so many other boats nearby, and definitely didn't want to run into anyone if our anchor was dragging. We were rocking and rolling for awhile there, but eventually the wind calmed down, and so did Riley's nerves.

Overall, it was a great stop... if you're on land.  It's definitely a town I wouldn't mind visiting again.    And it was good to stretch our legs on land for a bit. But we may not choose to anchor here again due to the strong current and exposed anchorage.  It was a good learning experience for us; fortunately one that we survived without a scratch.  Traveling onward through the ICW today!

14 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures! This is great! Fun photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaufort is such a cute little town. There are so many cute towns on the coast of both Carolina's, are you sailing south?

    I love your pictures they are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely love old cemeteries, too! So enchanting! Looks like you had a good stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this looks like such a cute town! I'm a sucker for old "main street" style towns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trivia like that too! It's so fun following your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I've never had any inclination to be on a boat for more than a few hours, but sailing and visiting destinations on the way sounds like an incredibly good way to live!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old cemeteries too, so I don't think that's odd at all! In fact, I'm posting about one of the oldest ones in London next week. This looks like it was a great stop! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. If you get the chance, you should definitely take it! It is a lovely place!

      Delete
  9. This is too cool! I'm loving reading your updates and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that everything worked out well and without a scratch! Beaufort does look like a sweet little town. And I enjoy the Nicholas Sparks trivia too!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every time we approach a new NC town, I google which Nicholas Sparks books were set there, haha. It makes it all the more interesting somehow. :)

      Delete
  11. I like to read your blog. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...