Oct 28, 2013

ports of call: wrightsville to carolina beach

wrightsville beach
super excited about the possibility of riley throwing sand... which she will catch with her whole face.

So... let's see, we left off at Beaufort, right?  We left Beaufort on Friday morning and anchored out at Mile Hammock Bay within a military base.  From there we sailed to Wrightsville Beach, and spent two nights at anchor.  It had been so long since I had been on the beach!  I had forgotten how... (what's a less cheesy word for "rejuvenating???") it feels.  Plus, Gidget loves the beach!  She's been putting up with a lot on this trip and it was so much fun to see her perk up when her little feet hit the sand.  We still had to keep her on a leash, but she ran around in circles on the sand, and in the surf, and "caught" sand that we threw at/to her.  I mean, we didn't bring any actual balls with us, so we had to improvise.  It was a lot less mean than it sounds, and she had a blast.

Our friend James, that we had met back at the marina in Washington, came to Wrightsville and took Riley out to pick up a few supplies.  We so appreciated that!  Then he and his wife met us again yesterday, and sailed with us to Carolina Beach.  We really enjoyed having them along!  It's neat because James had been in on this trip from the beginning; he had seen Winbrandt in her original condition, and worked on his own boat alongside us in the boatyard while trading expertise back and forth with Riley.  Having him and his wife Amy join us for this leg of the trip was really a great way to bring this endeavor full circle.

photo courtesy of our friend James
Carolina Beach State Park
 We spent last night at the marina at Carolina Beach State Park.  It was our first stay at a dock since we left a week ago.  They had showers!  And washing machines!  And pizza delivery! And electric for our heater!  It's funny how the simplest things now feel like luxuries.  We left feeling refreshed and ready to get our hands dirty again. Next stop... Southport!

linking up with Sami today!

18 comments:

  1. I love Wrightsville and Carolina Beach, both winners in my book. Where is your final destination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolina Beach State park sounds like heaven on earth! Thumbs up for showers and pizza :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really felt like it there for awhile! Oh, the little things that we take for granted! :)

      Delete
  3. We are going to Carolina Beach for a family vacation next year and I'm super excited! It looks beautiful. :)

    BTW, I think this whole endeavor is absolutely admirable and incredible. I think everyone has at least some part of them that imagines throwing off the shackles of every day life and just "setting sail", so to speak (well, in your case literally setting sail, ha!). Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Wrightsville beach and absolutely LOVED it! It's great that Gidget got to have some fun too :)
    I can't wait to read what happens next in your adventures south!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like ya'll are having a blast! gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome that you got to meet up with some friends. Yeah for pizza delivery, showers and electric heat! Love seeing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're off to a great start. And how fun to have company join you for a jaunt :)
    Glad Gidget got to get out and run on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents live in Southport! Enjoy your next leg. The weather looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! It's such a neat little town :)

      Delete
  9. so fun!! you were so close to me!! we were actually walking our pup on wrightsville this weekend too!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its always the little things, we just become clouded with the big things we're trying to tackle. Great views, glad to hear you guys are doing great on the seas :) Love your stories, have a great one! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are just so...fresh!! It makes me want to breathe in some sea air. Loving the journey!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the air here, too. It's so refreshing!

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous photos - I'm quite jealous, we are more into winter than fall now, up north! It looks like it was a great weekend, I wish I wasn't so far inland, I'd love to be out on the water :)

    jess
    Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely gorgeous! I love all these pictures...and now I'm dying to head back to North Carolina!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous, isn't it?! I think I often take North Carolina for granted because it's so close to home. Seeing it like this gives me a whole new perspective on it. :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful pictures!!
    I wish I could be next to the water right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...