Oct 1, 2013

pumpkin spiced and iced cookies

This was the first cookbook that I ever owned.  I already confessed to you that I've never really felt comfortable in the kitchen, so it wasn't until around freshman year of college that I started taking any interest in cooking whatsoever.  Obviously, my experiments started with lots of sugar and butter.  And if I was really honest, the main reason I bought the cookbook to begin with was that I liked it's kind of retro look and Barnes and Noble stuck it along the shelves of the store entryway where I couldn't possibly resist it.  That, and all of the sugary goodness inside, of course.

I've already made my first pumpkin pie of the season (and eaten the entire thing by myself, not joking). But as I was looking through this book before I packed it away, the multitude of seasonal pumpkin recipes had me drooling right into the cardboard box that I was supposed to be packing.  It's never too late for one more batch of cookies, right?  This time I gave most of them away, though.  I'd really have no self control otherwise.


Ingredients:
2 1/4 flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
15 oz. pumpkin
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ F and grease cookie sheets.
Combine the first five ingredients in a medium size bowl.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and beat until well combined.  Gradually beat in the the dry ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop rounded teaspoons of dough onto cookie sheets.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool, then mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, and drizzle or spread over cookies.


It's important to note that your cookies will come out of the oven looking exactly the way you put them in.  Meaning, they don't really spread out.  My first round of cookies looked like clumps of dough, so I spread the next batch out with a spoon before I baked them.  Also, artistic drizzling is a lot harder than it should be.  

Are you a pumpkin fan?  What is your favorite seasonal recipe?


I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!
 

14 comments:

  1. These could not be more perfect for fall! YUMM! I'm sure the icing is the best part. :) Thanks for linking up with Jess and me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these look so good! I am obsessed with any and all things pumpkin chocolate chip. Need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good! The extra touch of chocolate chips just makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! I love eating cookies. Baking is a whole other story. I have a tiny oven, and it takes me lots of rounds to bake them. Do you have an oven on the boat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do, but it's pretty small, too. We can't fit any standard size baking sheets in it so we'll have to improvise somehow. That, or just buy lots of cookies. :)

      Delete
  5. I love older classic cook books! Those sound delicious and the icing just puts it over the top! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM...A perfect cookie for the new season :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look beyond delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! I've got some canned pumpkin that I'm dying to create a dessert with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am NOT a pumpkin fan, but as a lover of all things festive and fall-ish, I really wish that I was! I want to bake pumpkin cookies and get in the spirit! But then there would be no one around to eat them. Oh, the woes of a picky eater. And darn that Barnes & Noble for being so irresistible and so wonderful at peddling their wares. But then again, that's precisely why I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm surprised that I am. I'm such a picky eater, I have to give major points to whoever got me to try pumpkin pie in the first place. I mean, pumpkin? In a pie? But that's how my love affair with pumpkin got started. :)

      Delete
  10. What pretty photos! I love everything fall and I've never heard of pumpkin iced tea cookies before. Very cool! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Me, too. I have yet to find a cookie that I didn't like. Well, except any with raisins. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...