Oct 30, 2013

scenes from Safe Haven, I mean... Southport

Old American Fish Co., aka "Ivan's" from Safe Haven

Alex's (Josh Duhamel) house from Safe Haven
The exact sport where Ryan's Port Market stood, before it was burned down in the movie.

I am such a tourist. And a tv/book trivia junkie. And a sucker for romance. It really is quite dangerous letting me loose in these coastal North Carolina towns... the birthplaces of everything that Kevin Williamson and Nicholas Sparks ever created. When we first moved our boat to New Bern, I started a Nicholas Sparks book and movie marathon, since everything he wrote took place in the area. I've also been a lifetime time fan of Dawson's Creek (team Pacey) and made Riley watch the whole series through with me when it became instant play on Netflix. I lured him in by telling him that Pacey fixed up a sailboat and that he and Joey sailed down the coast one summer. We had to skip Wilmington, where much of Dawson's Creek was filmed, but that hasn't stopped me from finding plenty of other filming locations in surrounding towns.

We came into Southport on Monday morning, and I already knew that it was the setting of Safe Haven, both the book and the movie. We hadn't even docked yet when I spotted the Old American Fish Co., which was Ivan's in the movie (the restaurant where Katie worked), and I knew I had hit a goldmine. We docked at a really fun place, Provisions, which is a restaurant that offers free overnight dockage with the purchase of a meal. We got in around lunchtime, docked, and walked right up to a seat on their deck with a perfect view of our boat and the ICW behind it. I felt like I had just been cast in a Williamson/Sparks production... and it was a dream come true.

Even without the excitement of spotting filming locations (I managed to find all of the Safe Haven spots that I could, plus the cemetery from A Walk to Remember), Southport is such a great town! I love it's weathered coastal charm, and I loved being right in the middle of it by docking at the restaurant. Southport gets five stars from me!


18 comments:

  1. Allison this is so awesome! I am right there with you girl on being such a tourist when I go places and a total Nicholas Sparks junkie. I would love to visit this place! Awesome pictures, I knew exactly what it was when I saw them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched Dawson's creek or read anything by Nicholas Sparks, but I did like the notebook! haha. I remember when I was in Vancouver seeing a lot of things that were often in movies (lots of movies are filmed in Vancouver, apparently...who knew?) and I found out that my friends in Vancouver went to the same highschool and knew Colbie Smuthers (I probably spelt that wrong!) from How I met Your mother. I thought that was cool!
    gorgeous photos, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is so cool!! I just watched this movie a couple of weeks ago! I need to visit New Carolina more often - their towns looks so picturesque :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched this movie so those scenes are fresh in my mind! Great pictures and what a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures so much. Dawson's Creek was the best, my sister and I went on the studio tour in Wilmington while it was still in production. It was great to see the insides sets after seeing all the places around town where they did some filming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! So beautiful! I have always wanted to visit those little costal towns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so cool that you guys got to visit the setting for the movie and book! I'm a sucker for romantic stuff also and I can only imagine how exiting it was for you to be in the same spot where the actual actors were :)

    xoxo
    -B ♡ MsBerryStylish 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cool. :) It's not too often that I come across filming locations where we're from. I think it also probably made me love the town a little bit more than I would have otherwise, haha.

      Delete
  8. I love that picture of you! Safe Haven looks so quaint and lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so fun! I would love to travel over there and view all those places along the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's so much fun. Another Nicholas Spark's junkie here.
    The place seems amazing, would love to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so fun! I actually just watched that movie for the first time a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! I actually haven't read or seen Safe Haven, but I like Nicholas Spark's a lot. I'm reading The Longest Ride now.

    And Team Pacey - amen.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Team Pacey, always. I was so relieved with how the series ended. :)
      I haven't read The Longest Ride yet, but it's on my list!

      Delete
  13. Wow, how cool!!! I love all those books/movies too! I'm pretty stinkin' jealous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Allison! Can I first say that you have a pretty name to begin with. I landed here as a result of my blog hopping adventures. I'm backreading your posts and I must say that I'm enjoying everything in your blog. All the beautiful things I see in your blog makes me feel refreshed and relaxed.

    We are almost of the same age. It's just that I'm a bit older. heehee I also grew up with the local airing of Dawson's Creek in my country. I also read a few books from Nicholas Sparks such as The Notebook and The One.

    I hope we can get to know each other better albeit online. :) I love to meet and discover people outside my own country. I'm your newest blog fan here.

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, thank you so much for your sweet words! I'm so glad that you've have enjoyed reading the posts. :) Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Ah this is so cool!!! I am a fan of Dawson's Creek and Nicholas Sparks too. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...