Oct 4, 2013

the day we became homeless-ish


And so it begins!  After all of our talking and planning, we finally took the next big step towards leaving on our sailing adventure... we cut ties to life on land.  

It's funny, when we got married and moved into this house that Riley had already started building, he told me that we could start thinking about moving after five years.  Here we are, five years and two months later, and he is making good on his promise.  Of course, I never imagined that we'd be moving to a sailboat instead.  I've since learned to be a little more specific when making deals with this guy.

We moved out of our house on Wednesday and we’ll be crashing at my parents for another night while we tie up some loose ends.  Then we’ll move onto the boat at the marina in North Carolina.  We’ll probably be there for a little while taking care of a few last minute maintenance issues before we set sail for our new, nomadic life.  It’s kind of a bummer because we’re so anxious to get going, but it’s more important to make sure that we have all of our ducks in a row.  Hopefully everything goes smoothly and we’ll be able to get underway before too long.  We are so ready for this “getting ready” stage to be over with!

Poor pup has no idea what she's in for.  It's going to be a long time before she ever has this much grass or space to roam freely.

It's an odd feeling, giving up the security of your own house for a new kind of life full of unknowns.  No roots, no solid ground.  It hits us at the strangest times... we really are doing this!

Thanks for the memories, little house.  We'll be seeing you.

 

19 comments:

  1. How exciting though! The adventure begins! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, transitions make me sad. Are ya'll renting out the house or selling it? I'm so excited to follow your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I guess that now you've waved goodbye to your beloved home it feels more real than ever! Good luck and enjoy the freedom of this unexpected move. I hope your adorable puppy manages to adapt on board!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison!
    wishing you both the best of luck and an amazing time on this exciting adventure! Hope your puppy adjusts well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duni! I think she'll do pretty well... she's usually content just as long as we're together. :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, I'm so, so excited for you! However, I know how sad you must be leaving your house and memories behind. I just moved to a different state and though I'm still on physical ground in this new place, it's so emotionally overwhelming to be happy to start a new adventure and sad to leave all you know and love behind. I'm rooting for you, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It does feel like a really big, really final step! Thanks for sharing in our excitement!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow!! Good luck on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for you both! Be sure to keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Allison!

    That is a scary and bold move you guys are making but I'm sure you guys will be fine. Hope you have a safe and wonderful journey during your time at sea! :) Keep us posted, looking forward to following you two on your crazy adventure! :) Bring me some shot glasses err fishes? ;)

    Have a great weekend guys, enjoy your time on land!
    -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow an exciting adventure. look forward to reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being specific is absolutely necessary. Let me tell you - I have learned this lesson the hard way too.
    eeeeehh heee.
    Does it feel absolutely bizarre to be homeless, minus a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I hope so! Hopefully mostly in a good way too, haha. :)

      Delete
  13. Good luck Allison!! I hope you have a fantastic journey full of lots of stories and pictures to last a lifetime!

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow!! You are so so close. I'm looking so forward to reading about your journey. And I can't imagine how hard it has been to say goodbye to all that you know. You'll be sleeping in the V for awhile now, huh? It will be so worth it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahhhhh! I'm so excited for you to start your adventure! can't wait to read all about it :) is it cheesy to say bon voyage?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...