Oct 23, 2013

when dreams come true

Riley and Gidget taking a cruise in the dinghy first thing yesterday morning.
motoring down the intracoastal waterway.
coming into Beaufort, NC.
first time we've anchored with so many other boats.  we're used to being out in the middle of nowhere by ourselves!

I think there are several stages to the whole "dream" process.  First there's the idea.  The vague, "I hope I do this one day."  Then there's the plan.  You start to think maybe, just maybe you could actually make this dream a reality and you begin working to put a plan into action.  There's the excitement.  Your life is going to change and it's going to be amazing.  There's the stress.  Making a dream into a reality is so much more difficult than it should be.  There are problems, and fears, and unknowns and mundane life stuff to work through.  And then, after all that... it comes true.

Throughout the whole process there's this undercurrent of doubt.  I remember when I first started telling people about our dream.  I was visiting family in Maryland, and at a loss for any very interesting life updates to relay, I started saying, "oh, and we're going to buy a sailboat and sail down the coast.  In about a year or so."  I don't know if I even really believed it at the time, and I sure don't know that anyone else did either.  They at least pretended that they did, so that was nice.  But still, as we started making plans and actual changes in preparation, it was so hard for me to believe that we were actually going to do this.  I don't blame anyone else for doubting us, either.

Now I keep saying to Riley, "we did it!  Can you believe that we're doing this?  But can you actually believe that we're really doing this?"  The sense of pride that we dreamed something up and then actually made it happen is overwhelming!  Of course, we didn't really do it by ourselves, and we will be forever grateful for every blessing, every door that was opened, and every path that was made straight.  Ok, actually a lot of the paths were pretty bumpy, but we're still grateful.

Even if we have to turn around next month with our tail between our legs and come home, it will be worth it knowing that we gave it our best shot.  Even if we have to turn around next week.  I hope not, because this was a heck of a lot of work for a weeks vacation.  The point is, no matter what happens from here on out, we'll call it a success.  For better or worse, we took the leap.

It's obviously still early in the game, and we're taking baby steps, trying not to push too hard until we find our groove.  But we made it to Beaufort, North Carolina yesterday, and it looks like a cute town, so we're planning to hang out here for another day.  Then, we'll be on the move again!

13 comments:

  1. you are taking life by the horns girl...living out your dream...to God's glory!!! that is something you will never regret. cheers to you, lady love!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I keep thinking is, "You guys are so wild!" I mean, living on a boat! This will be a very cool story to tell your kids someday. How long do you plan to be gone? Do you have a route you plan to follow, or are you kind of seeing where the wind takes you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are so inspiring! I honestly wish I had the guts to do what you both have done. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a less awesome way, I know what you mean. For a year now I've been saying I wanted to get my whole family together to come up to OKC and go to a Thunder basketball game. That's 8 tickets to get and schedules to figure out. A few weeks ago I emailed everyone, got some dates, and bought tickets! I was really proud of myself for ACTUALLY doing it. It's totally the kind of thing you say you want to do but never get around to doing. I think you guys are awesome. So fun reading about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is so inspiring because you really have made your dream come true! That is why I click on your blog every time a new post comes up in bloglovin - I love seeing how you're making your dreams happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so cool that you are making your dreams come true!! It looks beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaving everything behind to go on a sailing adventure seems like a story that exists only in the books or movies. So jealous you and your husband are actually doing this. It's so inspiring! I look forward to reading more of your travels. :)

    P.S. I also nominated you for the Sunshine Award over here: http://houseofsage.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/sunshine-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are so many people who have done so many other more adventurous and amazing things, but it's nice to hear that our little trip might be inspiring in some way. :) Thank you so much for the nomination!!

      Delete
  8. Such a success and something you should be so proud of. Not many people have said they have lived in a boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to make your dream come true! You're so right about the process it takes and the work that actually goes into making a dream reality.
    Gidget it such a great traveler :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously can't get over what an amazing adventure you guys are having - and with little Gidget, too! I'm excited to see how it all goes, and I'm sure you won't be turning around any time soon. There are too many amazing things in store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, yeah Gidget is in for way more than she could have possibly imagined. :) I sure hope we don't have to... but I think we're a little nervous about counting our chickens before they've hatched, if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  11. Aw! This is the town I shot a wedding in this spring!!!! Mama couldn't rmb how far y'all'd made it. Told her I'd have to check the blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...