Nov 15, 2013

5 fun and budget friendly stops in savannah

We stopped here for lunch after arriving in Savannah on Monday, at the recommendation of my sister.  The restaurant, an old apothecary building, is owned and staffed by SCAD.  The food was good, and Riley and I were both enamored with the decor, wall to wall mahogany shelves of old books.  Our bill arrived in an old book and it was such a cute idea that we almost didn't mind paying it! $$

We stumbled into this shop because the adorableness of it was simply too much to resist.  As you can imagine, Riley lost interest fairly quickly, but I could have spent much longer perusing it's wares.  It has a very eclectic, Anthropologie-esque vibe and even has a little coffee and pastry nook.  Of course, it has the potential to not be so budget-friendly, but it's certainly a fun place to window shop, too.

Maybe you have already seen their products elsewhere?  We stopped into this shop because of a recommendation from Natalie, and the fact that Riley considers himself somewhat of a honey connoisseur.  The shop is stocked with more honey products than you could possibly imagine, but what we enjoyed most was their $5 mead tasting, and a wedge of Georgia Red cheese that we took back to the boat to enjoy.

Of course, we waited until the coldest day of the week to make the walk to Forsyth Park, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the fountain.  Apparently there is a free shuttle in Savannah, but we were only aware of the $28 one, so we opted to walk instead.  It really is a beautiful park, and the fact that the nearby Forsyth Park cafe has free wifi further served to validate the cold morning walk.

This is a casual (meaning, paper plates and plastic silverware) little French restaurant to grab a bite to eat.  I recommend Le Parisien: ham, swiss cheese, brie and paper-thin slices of apple on a slice of crunchy ciabatta bread. And you're most likely going to want to follow that up with a macaron for dessert. $

Obviously, we only began to scratch the surface on finding fun and cost effective ways to enjoy ourselves in Savannah.  These were just a few of the places, within walking distance, that we managed to fit in while we were there.  It's definitely a city I'd like to visit again!

13 comments:

  1. I've gotta admit, your boat trip has been completely not what I expected it to be. I mean, I guess when you said you'd be sailing down the coast, I assumed you'd be sailing, and you'd be on the boat, and I never even thought about ya'll actually getting off the boat, or what you'd do for food or entertainment if you did! It's been really neat seeing the cool places you've gotten to experience because of this trip. A mead tasting sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sandwich from the last place sounds delicious!!! I definitely hope to make it here some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah is one of my favourite places. I tried to talk my husband into a week in Savannah instead of a week up to PA to visit his family - he wasn't falling for it. That sandwich is calling my name, maybe I'll have to recreate it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you've convinced me to put Savannah back at the top of my must-see travel list. Last year I was talking with some women who convinced me how awful and gross Savannah was and told me to go to Charleston instead. Sounds like maybe they're just snobby, because by your descriptions and pictures it looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too! The tan cloche and purple fedora were my favorites! But I couldn't really think up a good enough excuse to justify purchasing one. ;)

      Delete
  6. My husband and I went to Savannah for our honeymoon, so we have a special place in our hearts for the city! Gryphon was one of our favorite places. We have recommended it to so many people. And our bed and breakfast was on Forsyth Square. Savannah is such a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to go to the book restaurant! Gosh that sounds like such and awesome idea. Your pictures as always are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard that Savannah is a very nice travel spot! All those places are adorable and I could totally get lost in that Parisian shop with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all these beautiful pictures! We used to go to Savannah for a day trip when we vacationed at Hilton Head. It was my favorite part of vacation- such a beautiful town!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bill in the book at the Gryphon?? Genius. I love that idea. I need to visit Savannah and try out each of your top 5 spots!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I tried to take a picture of it, but then the waitress came and was waiting, and the photo was blurry and… oh well. :)

      Delete
  11. What fun places to visit in Savannah! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...