Nov 29, 2013

a cruiser's thanksgiving


I love Thanksgiving. Like, really, really love it. As the day got closer, I started getting a little worried that it was going to be hard being away from our families, and also missing all of my usual traditions. Thankfully, since we stayed at Jekyll Island for so long, we were able to celebrate with everyone at the marina. We had a potluck dinner with deep fried turkey and all of the usual sides, and our roasted brussels sprouts with bacon and parmesan were a big hit. Good thing too, because I was feeling a little unsure of myself after I burned my pumpkin pie yesterday morning. I really can't celebrate the holiday properly without a pumpkin pie, but I haven't quite mastered this oven yet. We have no way of setting it to a specific temperature, so the whole endeavor was guess and check. Apparently, I didn't check soon enough. That didn't stop us from eating it (and keeping it all to ourselves), though. Riley, who doesn't like pumpkin pie at all, even declared it was the best he'd ever tasted. Go figure. Also, (bless you, Netflix) I didn't even have to miss my annual Thanksgiving Day viewing of Christmas Vacation. So, even though we missed being with our families, we were so very grateful for a good group of people to celebrate with, good food, and as many of my traditions as I could scrounge up.

I hope everyone else had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well! What are some of your favorite traditions that you just can't miss?

13 comments:

  1. Glad you guys were able to have a great Thanksgiving considering your situation, it must be very hard being apart from family but you'll be reunited soon enough. :) Honestly, the only tradition in our household was arguing and then laughing about it so i'm looking forward to making some new traditions with my future-hubby and my son, most likely with friends. Next year we'll try something different, so if you have any ideas be sure to share! :) The Pumpkin pie still looks good, although I am a sucker for pumpkin pie :) Have a great one Allison! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great Thanksgiving! Definitely special. You will never forget that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that sounds fun that you could all get together to help each other celebrate! :) Definitely one to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Riley said you were going to share a deep fried turkey with a guy at the marina my vision for your tgiving day was totally different from what I see in the photots! What LOVELY looking time it seems you had! Seeing people who arent family, yet a type of "family" having Thanksgiving together and embracing you and Riley makes me so so happy. We of course missed y'all and talked about you at Gma's dinner, but I'm so happy to read this post :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you too! This worked out so well though, it was probably the next best thing to being with family. And the food was good, too! I'll be looking forward to next Thanksgiving even more now though. :)

      Delete
  5. OH! And Love Actually is on instant play now as well as White Christmas :) I watched Love Actually and The Holiday already but will prob watch White Christmas after the Floyd Cmas Parade tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Took advantage of Love Actually already! I'm going to hold off on The Holiday for a little while though. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you got to spend Thanksgiving there! Christmas Vacation is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are doing so well! What a challenge to have Thanksgiving so non-traditionally, but you guys look like you still had such a sweet time. Wonderful memories being made :) And kudos for your food, girl. Most people wouldn't have even attempted with an oven with no temp. setting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that you got to spend Thanksgiving there! And you must have discovered something special with burnt pumpkin pie. :) Still tastes like tradition, I'm sure.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, what I discovered is that now I'm going to have to start sharing my pumpkin pies with Riley. ;) I used to have them all to myself, haha. Not that I intend to keep on burning them though!

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you found a "family" away from home to have Thanksgiving with! I wondered about you on the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How special that you were able to celebrate with everyone at the marina! Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...