Nov 19, 2013

how to curb snacking... or not

I have this problem. Or rather, Riley has this problem, because really I don't mind it too much. We tend to stock up whenever we have the opportunity to do some grocery shopping. And so then, we're just sitting around the boat, I'm there, the food's there, and I get to thinking just how nice it would be to have a few chips while I read, or whatever. A few hours later, Riley's mad that all of the good snacks are gone. I don't know if anyone else's husband has this same problem, but I thought I'd share a few (un)helpful tips I've run across, just in case:


1. Store them out of sight and out of reach. Easier said than done.  Everything on a boat is within reach.

2. Don't buy any snacks. This one works out pretty well. Unless of course you have a husband that still wants to buy his own snacks. This is how I (re)discovered my love for zebra cakes, salt and vinegar Pringles, and ginger snaps. And also, I've found that someone else's bag of chocolate always tastes just a little bit sweeter.

3. Only buy healthy snacks. Good in theory, but we can never seem to remember this one when we're actually at the grocery store. Plus, it's only logical to buy the box of preservatives that's going to last much longer than the vegetables. I mean, we're talking about survival here.

4. Keep yourself occupied. I don't know about you, but it seems to me that just about every activity is enhanced by a little snacking.

And finally, my personal favorite:

5. Eat all of your snacks as soon as possible. This will prevent you from being tempted by them for the next few weeks (days?). However, this may also result in guilt, marital strife, and ensuing starvation. These side effects will last a little longer than any of said snacks, but will likely be forgotten after the next grocery run.

So, it's not just me... right?

16 comments:

  1. I try so hard not to buy snacks in the theory that I won't eat them if they're not there, but then I crave them so badly I end up getting them next round anyway. I guess every other week of mindless snacking isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I was so much better about not buying them at home. But here, Riley wants to buy them, and I just can seem to summon the willpower to leave them alone! :)

      Delete
  2. bahaha! It is definitely not just you. I always do number five! If we have a lot of candy or junk I think to myself...the sooner I eat all of this, the sooner I can start my diet.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't thought about zebra snack cakes in years and now I really want one.... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try not to buy too many snacks, because I know I'll just eat them all, but if I don't buy any then I'm starving at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. without fail. But I definitely never buy Zebra Cakes, because Little Debbies are hubby's favorite, and he'd eat the whole box in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a solution, each of you get your own bag of candy. If you eat yours first though he better hide his or I say they are fair game too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! The last one is too funny! I have to keep them out of my house or I will devour every last morsel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there any snacks he likes and you hate? Buy those. Like - fruit and nut chocolate. Raisins in chocolate? That's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, very funny! I always serve snacks in a pretty bowl, (for some reason) that makes me eat less than straight from the package :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's a great idea! I'm going to keep that in mind! I'd also be less likely to want to get up and refill a bowl if I didn't have the package on hand.

      Delete
  9. I live by a strict "don't buy" rule. Because if I buy it then I eat it. Fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My boyfriend and I did a day sail one afternoon and I had the same problem. With not much to do and mostly just reading, snacking is kind of inevitable, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel a little better…I'm going to blame at least a little bit of it to being on a boat! :) You're exactly right. It's a confined space and there really isn't all that much to do.

      Delete
  11. Man. I'm like the worst snacker in the history of time. Having a kid has helped some because I don't want to share...but that means I basically just stuff my face between 2-4 and after 8pm. Sigh....ah well. It tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is so true. I feel like it would have been so much more convenient if I'd married someone who had opposite taste in snacks. Then I wouldn't be tempted by his...I dunno...tofu chips, or whatever.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! Riley and I are opposites when it comes to pretty much everything else, but our taste in snacks just overlaps a little too much!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...