Nov 22, 2013

jekyll island club and "cottages"


Yesterday we rode our bikes around the historic district of Jekyll Island.  This is made up of the Jekyll Island Club, which was founded in 1886 as a private hunting and recreational club, and surrounding cottages.  Of course, when I hear the word "cottage" I think small and quaint.  Not so.  These were the private winter residences of the club's wealthy members.  Men like J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, William K. Vanderbilt, William Rockefeller, and Marshall Field.

While I'm fascinated by the history of the island, and the stories behind these buildings, the structures themselves just don't do it for me.  The club, or one of the cottages, probably would be fun to stay in though, if I ever had the chance to visit the island again.  But I think I'm just still more impressed by the trees...

9 comments:

  1. I love Spanish moss, I can see some on a tree out of the window I sit in front of all day. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the teal and yellow! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite, too! Thanks! Hope you do as well!

      Delete
  3. There should be a rule that you can't have one of those unless you're going to throw a monstrous Gatsby-worthy party. I could get by with the yellow and teal one though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Some of them are open to tour (only in season, I guess), and some of them are rooms to rent. I sure hope someone around here throws something like that, though. That would be so much fun!

      Delete
  4. Love Jekyll Island. My dad lives on St Simon's so I get to see it every now and then. And I'm with the reader who commented above: spanish moss is so amazing and it is just everywhere around those parts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous! Makes me want to visit now :) I took my bf away for his birthday to the first property George Washington purchased, it was out in West Virginia. Just glorious, I love when buildings have extensive history. :) Have a great weekend guys! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Jekyll! Ya'll are visiting so many fabulous places!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...