Nov 14, 2013

squatting in savannah


Savannah has been good to us.  It was well worth the uh, bumpy ride getting here.  We pulled right up to the city docks on River Street, in front of the Factors Walk, expecting to pay for a few night's stay.  But after making one attempt at actually finding someone to pay, and hearing plenty of assurances from other cruisers that no one actually does pay, we didn't worry too much about it.  We were able to stay docked right in the city, for free, for three nights!  Of course, it was also a high traffic area, meaning, we haven't really slept the past three nights, and we weren't able to take care of any laundry or shower business, but still, it was well worth the free dockage!


Savannah is a beautiful city, and I don't really know how to do her justice in photos.  We loved the river front with it's factory buildings turned shops and restaurants, cobblestone streets and dangerously steep historic steps that led up to the rest of the city.  She is beautifully designed with several park like squares, each surrounded by historic homes and civic buildings, making the walk through the city a pleasant endeavor.  She has history and charm, and spanish moss, and that's really all I wanted from her.  I loved my little taste of city life, and the craziest thing was that Riley loved it, too.

12 comments:

  1. I've never been to Savannah, but I hear about how beautiful it is all the time. Especially after reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I've really wanted to go check out the old houses. And look at the trees! We don't get anything like that in the midwest.

    Glad your trip is going well so far! Free "accommodations" are always a score. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, so glad you were able to get right on the Riverfront!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to be visiting this city in February! I have always wanted to go to Savannah, just haven't had the opportunity to yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savannah is one of my absolute favorite cities in the US. It is so gorgeous, full of history, and bustling with things to do. Glad you got to spend a few good days there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool to get free "rent". The picture of the bridge is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep these awesome posts coming! I'm living vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I've never been to Savannah - and definitely not via boat ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Those old buildings have so much character! Places like that always make me want to know all of the history and stories behind the walls. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Savannah has been on my list for a while, this makes me want to go even more.
    I hope you're enjoying your journey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Savannah is one of my must see cities and it did not disappoint from your pictures. Just beautiful and free dockage, what a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts are so fun. Glad you guys are enjoying it so far :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...