Nov 20, 2013

the great bike tour of jekyll island


We're here in Jekyll Island, Georgia this week and we are loving it!  We're staying at a marina that offers (along with showers and laundry and wifi!) free bicycles!  After spending so much time trekking through towns and cities on foot, traveling by bike feels pretty darn wonderful.  It's only been about oh, fifteen years or so since I've ridden a bike, but Jekyll has a great system of wide, flat bike trails over the course of the entire island, and we've covered just about all of them.  First stop, the beach!


We were only planning to stay here for two nights, but a nor'easter is blowing through so we've decided to stay put for a little while.  You can kind of tell in some of these pictures just how windy it is.  Riding a bike against the wind feels sort of like moving in slow motion.  Since we'll be here for a couple days, that means I have a ton of pictures to share.  For a small island, there is an awful lot to see here and it's pretty deserted, so it feels like we have it all to ourselves!

12 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Looks like a great place to be stranded at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free showers, laundry, and wifi are so important but free bikes is like icing on the cake! Looks like a peaceful little place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks amazing! I'm excited to see the rest of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I'm stalking your life but I can't help but comment - Jekyll Island is one my of FAVORITE PLACES EVER. We went there for our honeymoon, and it was amazing. Part of our honeymoon package included a bike rental for an afternoon, so we also took a bike tour of the island. So much fun! I'm so jealous that you're there; it's an amazing little place with so much history and beautiful scenery. Plus, being there this late in the season, it's probably deserted. We were there in late October, and we practically had the island to ourselves. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - beautiful! I'd love to see a map of where you have travelled so far - not being from the US it can be a little tricky to even imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we've been trying to find a program or something that would allow us to easily map our route online, but we haven't come across one yet. I'd like to see it on a map myself! :)

      Delete
  6. I loved the photo you posted on instagram earlier! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw - this is stunning! If I was a huge water person, I would definitely want to copy you two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun!!! That's a great idea for them to have free bikes available! Definitely an awesome way to view the island! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...