Nov 4, 2013

the most outrageous month of my life

Georgetown, South Carolina


October was such a crazy month for us!  We've been at this sailing adventure of ours for a month now. The first of the month we moved out of our house in Virginia, and we moved onto our sailboat at a marina in New Bern, North Carolina.  About two weeks later, we cast off the lines and set sail!  So far in our journey we have visited Beaufort, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and Southport, North Carolina.  At the end of last week we made it to South Carolina.  We stopped in Georgetown for a bit and got to meet up with my mom, sister, and aunt, who were on their way home from vacation in Savannah.  As of today, we have spent about 64 hours sailing and have traveled around 325 miles!

Our anchorage over the weekend.
I finally got to realize my dream of taking our dinghy ashore on a beach!
Can you see our tiny sailboat in the distance?

This weekend we anchored out in Prices Creek.  We were just a short dinghy ride away from a deserted beach, so we spent our Sunday letting Gidget run free to her heart's content.  She's been on a leash non-stop since we left, so she wore herself out taking advantage of the opportunity for racing around the beach at top speeds.

We should be coming into Charleston, SC today!  We only have 2-3 days to spend here, so if you have any recommendations of things that we should see, do, or eat I'd absolutely love to hear them!

linking up with Sami and Mary Beth today!

15 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing! What an adventure - it is fun living vicariously through your posts. Glad Gidget got to run her heart out, I bet that was needed. You are going to have one fantastic scrapbook when you all is said and done! Happy sailing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pink house, I wish my house had a pretty pastel colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm seeing pink houses everywhere these days! I don't know if I'm just more drawn to them now, or if there are just so many more of them in this area. But either way, I like it!

      Delete
  3. Yay you'll be in my neck of the woods!! I recommend the old City Market in downtown Charleston to do some walking, its touristy but fun. My favorite place to eat is in Mount Pleasant, you can pull your boat up to Red's Ice House and bring Gidget in to eat with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! All your photos are so beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to see Georgetown but haven't yet made it there, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been such a fun adventure to follow! I bet Gidget just loved running around :)

    I've always wanted to go to Charleston - can't wait to see pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe it's already been a month! And what an exciting one at that! Sounds like all is going well and you're having a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok you're kind of living my dream. how cool to be LIVING on a sail boat. going where the wind takes you : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures, Allison! And I like your new blog design…you're new welcome photo is very "you right now" - which is on a boat :) Have fun in Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the new design! Husband and I went to Charleston for our first wedding anniversary, and the favorite thing we did was take a cooking class at Charleston Cooks. we also went to Hominy Grill [so tasty!] and took a carraige tour of the city [a little touristy but you have to do it once.] have a great stay! here's a link to the cooking classes: http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/charlestoncooks/charleston/classes/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh Charleston! We vacation here all the time and even honeymooned there in June. Love it!! Obviously this is from a while ago so too late for suggestions. Sorry for blowing up your inbox with comments, I am just having a snow day here in Ohio and really enjoying reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh Charleston! We vacation here all the time and even honeymooned there in June. Love it!! Obviously this is from a while ago so too late for suggestions. Sorry for blowing up your inbox with comments, I am just having a snow day here in Ohio and really enjoying reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...