Dec 9, 2013

a map of our sailing journey… so far!


I am a very visual person.  I also happen to be geographically and directionally challenged.  I've gotten pretty good at being able to find our location on our charts, but as far as the big picture goes, I was feeling pretty lost!  Whenever we would stop for the night, I would know what city we were in, and how many miles we had traveled to get there, but that meant practically nothing to me without a large scale picture of our progress.   So… here it is!  

I have been wanting to map our actual route, but haven't quite found a way to do that without using roads.  So for now, I put together this map that marks all of our major stopping points (the ones that got blog posts, anyway!).  It's not a very precise map, obviously, but I hope it helps give you a general idea of where we've been, too!  Are you as visual as I am?  

We started in New Bern, North Carolina on October 20th, and have traveled the Intracoastal Waterway (for the most part) all the way to Fort Pierce, Florida.  We left Fort Pierce yesterday and are going to be making our way to the Florida Keys over the next week or so.  

As of this morning we have traveled about 817 miles by sailboat!  It's finally starting to feel like we're getting somewhere!

18 comments:

  1. How fun! You've gone quiet a long ways. Have you been to the Keys before? You'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like visuals but don't necessarily need them to know you've gone a long way by sailboat! I'm super jealous you are on your way to the Keys it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much progress!!! Love following along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, when you map it out like that, it seems crazy that ya'll have already gone so far! I guess I'm more visual than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah! I almost cropped them out, but then thought better of it. :)

      Delete
    2. We had thought about it originally, but looking at our charts and our timeframe, we're not so sure now. We'll play it by ear, but I think we'd probably enjoy just spending some time in the Florida Keys as well!

      Delete
  6. That's amazing! I didn't realize how far you guys had gone already! I guess I need a visual representation, too - my sense of lower east coast geography isn't that good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is embarrassingly bad. This has been a pretty good excuse to brush up on it though!

      Delete
  7. I love this map! Thank you for putting it together for us to see...I had a picture in my head, but this makes following your trip a whole lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I want to know if you've seen anything in the water. Like sharks or dolphins or the like. Also, do dogs get seasick? Just something I wondered about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I know I'm being a terrible no reply commenter. But this is the easiest way to comment from my desk without having to log back into my personal gmail. Your blog is my mid-afternoon break!

      Delete
    2. I wondered if you knew. ;)
      I haven't written about that at all, have I? We have seen a ton of dolphins, but they haven't gotten super close to us yet. I'm still waiting! So far, she hasn't. I suppose some do, just like some get carsick. But we've all been fortunate so far!

      Delete
  9. That's a good idea to put it on a map! It looks far to me!! I hope you're in warm waters now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a journey. I am so jealous you're headed to the keys.... I would love so warmth and sunshine right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a very visual person too, so this map is right up my alley! Great visual for your journey!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...