Dec 16, 2013

a weekend like a landlubber. kinda.


This weekend we went to the movies, the mall, and the grocery store. We did some cleaning and we hardly got any sleep. It was just like a real land-people kind of weekend. Well, except for a few glaring differences, of course.


1. Ever since Catching Fire came out in theaters I have been hearing how good it is, and I got it in my head that I really wanted to go see it. We haven't been anywhere that I would even consider looking for a movie theater within walking distance, but we came into South Beach Miami this weekend, and there it was! It was just as good as I thought it would be, but honestly, it was a little strange sitting inside a theater on land for that long.

2. These days we are always excited to do a little grocery shopping, and so we were pleased to find a Publix grocery store not too far away. We didn't walk to it, but rather drove our dinghy along a canal and tied up alongside of it. Strange, but convenient. We took full advantage of it and it's Redbox.

3. I was also excited to hear that there was a walking mall nearby with all of my favorite stores. I really tried hard to buy something, really I did, but I walked away empty handed. You know, all the stores are selling winter things, that I finally don't need, and it's not like we have a bunch of extra room to store stuff. We're also skipping Christmas presents this year, because of the challenge and cost of finding a post office and mailing packages.

4. Friday night we happened to catch a little fireworks show from across the water. We're guessing it was from one of the cruise ships docked nearby.


I'm assuming most tourists probably don't get much sleep in South Beach. For us though, it wasn't because we were out all night partying. The trade in for being near a city with so many convinces is that there is a lot of traffic. This includes boat traffic as well. Sometimes the constant rocking motion of the wake from passing boats lulls me to sleep. Other times, it's 2am and I'm trying to send telepathic messages to whoever is out riding around on the water to either go slow or go home already!

So except for the constant rocking, lack of shopping bags, and the travel by canal, I almost felt like I was a land dweller again.  And it was really kind of nice.


linking up with carissa!

12 comments:

  1. The Publix you had to dock at is kind of what I was envisioning when I mentioned boating routes should be more like interstates a few comments ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously in love with your life right now. Mine's pretty good too, so I'm not planning on stealing your identity or anything (yet), but your minimalistic outlook (mostly out of necessity but still) is really inspiring. Sail on, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so, so glad that things are going well for you!! You know, I've really been enjoying the minimalism. I'm curious to find out how much of it will translate into our life back on land.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun weekend! Will you two be sailing back north after reaching the Keys, or will you all stay down south for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll hang out in the Keys for a little while, several weeks at least, but then we'll have to turn around and make the trip back home!

      Delete
  4. "It was just like a real land-people kind of weekend" Isn't it funny that a year ago that was your life?! Just living on land and now it's' all about the water! This is a seriously cool adventure you guys are on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so cool that right now being on land feels strange. I would love to go on the kind of adventure that you're on one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's something that you really want to do, then I hope you'll go for it! :)

      Delete
  6. I was reading your profile, that is so cool you live on a boat! My Aunt & Uncle live on a boat as well. I love getting their emails as to where they are and what not. It's actually my Dad's oldest sister so I think they are in their 70's. SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting that being in a theatre for awhile felt strange because you're not used to land! Are you so happy to be in warmer water??

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we actually felt a little guilty about it! Usually we go to shore to take care of necessary errands (primarily, at least), so it felt a little indulgent, haha.

      Yes, sooo happy! It hasn't been too hot either, which we are really grateful for!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...