Dec 23, 2013

all i want for christmas is...



nothing.


I feel so blessed to be able to say that. As much as I fretted over what to bring, what not to bring, how little space I was going to have for clothes and cooking utensils, I honestly have everything that I need (except of course, when I didn't have nearly enough winter clothing for all of the cold weather we passed through). 

And I can't say that I've missed the stress of Christmas shopping either. Even though that also means that our friends and family are getting jipped on their gifts this year (sorry!), I can't think of a single thing that I would possibly want or need. It seems to me that too much of the celebration of Christmas has come to revolve around buying stuff, and it's been bothering me for awhile. I was able to avoid that completely this year, and focus instead on celebrating the meaning of this Christmas season without any of those distractions. Not that this is such a noble endeavor of my own doing. We kind of took ourselves out of the running for needing any material possessions simply by being in such a small (and unusual) space. 

But it's so refreshing. I don't miss any of the things that I left behind. I don't want them or need them. The only things that we think about wanting or needing these days are groceries and a clean pair of clothes. And full tanks of diesel and water. In fact, if we aren't in need of running any errands, we'd actually prefer to be out at an anchorage by ourselves, with no one and nothing else in sight.

Of course, anyone would feel the same way if they were living on a 30' sailboat with this as their current view.


I'm relishing the minimalism, and I'm so relieved to find that I'm welcoming it with such open arms. I am, however, so curious to find out how much of this minimalistic outlook is going to stick once we return to a home on dry land. It's kind of a long term experiment I'm conducting on myself. One of many actually, during this experience, if I'm being completely honest.


P.S. to my dear sister, this doesn't mean that you're keeping all of my extra clothes. yet.


12 comments:

  1. Christmas was rough this year since Thanksgiving came so late, you are not missing anything. I'd change places in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of your outlook. It would be so easy to feel like you're missing out right now. I would be lying if I didn't say I'm missing being home for the holiday, but reading your posts with your positive attitude, adjusts mine. I may not have the comforts I'm used to in years past, but I still have a lot. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^That's me, btw^^ I was signed in with a different account :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so awesome that you've got that outlook. It's such a relaxing feeling and it means you're getting full wear out of everything you have with you too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true! We are definitely getting our mileage out of the things that we did bring with us. Thank you so much, Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  5. I really couldn't agree more! Joey and I both struggled coming up with ideas for family members to get us when in reality, that is the least important part of the holiday! Gifts mean nothing compared to spending time with family celebrating the real reason of the season. I hope y'all have the best Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet Allison. As stressful and bank-breaking as it is during this time of year, I really love searching and finding the perfect gift for my loved ones. I completely agree though that we are almost required by society to buy gifts for everyone. My boyfriend stopped buying gifts a few years ago because he didn't enjoy buying gifts that the recipients didn't even like or use. He gets so much flack for it but I can understand where he comes from. I put so much thought and effort into finding what I think is the perfect gift but I never see those I gifted use what I get them and it makes me sad. At times, it makes me think why do I even bother (It's the thought that counts, I know). Society makes us feel and look bad should we choose not to give gifts. My boyfriend thinks with the mindset, "If I see something that makes me think of someone, why do I have to wait for a holiday to give it to them?" I've never really thought of that. I'd love to start it, letting relatives know that I will be sending a gift as a random surprise instead of at Christmas but I have a feeling they'll give me crap for it. Sorry for the rant, your post just made me think!
    Merry Christmas!
    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a valuable and enviable lesson. You've got it figured out! And what a view! <3

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I can really claim that, but I'm making progress at least. For now. ;)

      Delete
  8. This looks amazing, i serious need a travel trip soon!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this, both the perspective and the view. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes you need to walk away before you realize you don't miss it! it is a beautiful lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...