Dec 4, 2013

and the rockets' red glare...


What a difference a day (or five, really) makes!  Yesterday we finally saw the sun, and the skies were clear and blue and beautiful!  It really is amazing how much the weather can make or break this whole experience.  We made great time yesterday, which for us means that we traveled 56 miles in about 8 hours.

We passed Cape Canaveral (you can just barely make out towers in the photo above) and talked about how cool it would be to watch a launch.  We even checked out NASA's website to see if there was anything coming up in the next day or so, because we would have been interested in hanging around for awhile just to catch a launch.  But, we kept on moving and found an anchorage in nearby Cocoa.


Well, wouldn't you know, something did indeed launch last night!  We didn't catch the whole thing but saw enough of it to be awestruck.  I'm just glad we looked up in time! It's not everyday that you happen to glance up and see a bright light streaking through the sky. Some post-launch googling revealed that the rocket was Falcon 9, launched by SpaceX, and was carrying a commercial SES-8 communications satellite into orbit.   Admittedly, that means nothing to me.  But it sounds impressive. And it was pretty darn cool to watch.  Bet you can guess which song I've had stuck in my head ever since...

14 comments:

  1. The last time you saw a rocket launch from Cape Canaveral was in 1993 - we pulled over to watch it on our way to Disney World. Do you remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remember! Although, now I know that I've seen one more than Riley, so that's always nice. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow that was lucky on your part! I think it would be pretty awesome to watch something launched from Cape Canaveral. I'm so glad you're finding nicer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are finally in some warmer weather! How cool to have seen a bit of the launch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand any of that launch stuff either, but sounds awesome! You are going to be the coolest girl EVER by the time this trip is over (though you kinda are anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I think you may be a little biased. ;)

      Delete
  5. That's so cool! I love how peaceful that first picture looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was peaceful! When we reached this part of Florida there was hardly anyone or anything around us for a good while.

      Delete
  6. It's crazy the difference in your pictures from the blue sky to the cloudy gray of a few days ago. This is fun! I feel like I'm sailing along with you from my office desk (just don't tell my boss...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt like night and day! I'm glad you're coming along! ;) I could use the company, haha.

      Delete
  7. That is awesome!!

    And those blue skies - swoon. Now you're talkin'....

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we were swooning alright! That's what we've been waiting for!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...