Dec 26, 2013

christmas in the keys


We left Key Largo last week, after deciding that our anchorage didn't have much to offer, and headed to Boot Key Harbor in Marathon to spend Christmas.

We seem to be in the habit of arriving in a new place and needing to do our grocery shopping on the most popular days of the year. So we started out Christmas Eve by walking a mile to the grocery store, squeezing through the crowds, and walking the mile back, lugging our groceries on a sunny 93° day. It was almost comical really. Along the way, we passed a church advertising their candlelight service that evening, and decided it would be nice to go. It was a wonderful way to celebrate, and it was made oddly memorable by the fact that the service ended, not with "Away in a Manger" or "O Holy Night," but with "Feliz Navidad" instead. And then they gave out m&m's.

Christmas Day was fairly dark and gloomy, so we only ventured out of the boat twice. It also only rained twice, and I'm sure you can guess when that was. But we had a great day, fixing ourselves delicious meals and talking to our families on the phone. In the evening we walked to the movie theater, which plays only one movie, once a day. So we ended our Christmas with The Hobbit 2 in the tiny, packed, one room theater. 

All in all, it was a very peculiar, but merry, Christmas.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well! What did you do to celebrate?


8 comments:

  1. I love that you had a unique Christmas, I would have been disappointed if it were like all the rest of our's on dry land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad y'all had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know what you mean about how strange it is to have a warm Christmas! I grew up visiting my family in Montreal for Christmas, so it was a little strange to be in sunny Santa Barbara for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange! I felt like we had to go out of our way to do Christmassy things, just so we didn't forget what time of year it was! I bet Montreal is beautiful at Christmastime. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas in Santa Barbara too, though!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! I'm from Minnesota so I'm used to white Christmases (everyone walked out of church on Christmas Eve to cars covered in snow!) but one year my parents were in Florida for the holidays so I went to visit them and it was so strange to be in a warm place for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are used to white Christmases! I'm used to cold, and lately wet Christmases, it seems, so it definitely was unusual!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you made the best of it! Spending the day indoors in your PJ's is the best way to celebrate anyways! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so memorable. And that Christmas Eve service?! I'm not one for church at all, but that sounds perfect, especially for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...