Dec 18, 2013

ode to gidget


I watched the movie Marley and Me, 
and then I couldn't stop crying.
"Enough of this," Riley said, 
"a little dog we're buying."

So we picked her out and brought her home,
with a couch to sleep on and land to roam.
It was a good life, lazy and sweet,
safe and sound, it couldn't be beat.

But it wasn't to last, we soon bought a boat,
moved out of our house and decided to float.
And this little dog, she had to come too,
to leave her behind would leave me too blue.


So a miniature life vest we bought, and a patch of fake grass.
"She'll just have to learn, and she'll have to learn fast."
Now she lives on a boat and dingies to shore,
a new life on a leash, free reign no more.

Stubborn but smart, she's adjusted quite well,
she rolls with the punches and rides with the swell.
So many new places to see, smell and mark, 
there was even one brief Halloween stint as a shark.

Whatever comes next, she's coming along,
because she is so much more than a dog.
As long as we're together, she has no other wish,
but to rest on my lap and to steal a wet kiss.

Happy Birthday dear Gidget, I love you a lot,
from your cold little nose to your very last spot.
Only four years old, your life's just beginning,
let's celebrate... want to go swimming?


16 comments:

  1. Awww what a great post, Happy Birthday Gidget!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww..thats so sweet! She's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you are so precious! What a sweet poem! I may have to call on you when my fur-babies' birthdays come around. Happy Birthday to your sea-pup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, so. This almost made me cry. There's nothing like the love that happens between a girl and her dog. Trust me, I know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, I absolutely love the little doggie vest! What a great little ode to Gidget ;)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet!! Our pups are our babies, they deserve the very best! Happy Birthday Gidget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful poem! A dog's love is so precious. Happy Birthday little Gidget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is tooooo clever and cute! Happy birthday, Gidget! What a loyal little crew member you have there.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a great little crew member! Or, a real trooper at the very least! :)

      Delete
  9. Gidget is adorable! We just picked up our new puppy on the weekend and I'm looking forward to years and years of memories to come. They are just the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've seen his photos, he is absolutely adorable!! Congratulations on your new addition! :)

      Delete
  10. Awww... This is absolutely adorable!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! What a sweet post. Happy birthday Gidget! She's adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! And Gidget thanks you too, I'm sure! :)

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday! And what a lovely ode :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty sure she was feeling all of the extra birthday love!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...