Dec 2, 2013

the sun will come out… tomorrow?


December?! That means that we've lived on the boat for two months now, and we've been sailing for 43 days. It all started in October (you can read a recap here), and November was all about finding our groove. In November, we found ourselves in the cities of Charleston (eating cupcakes, rubbing shoulders with millionaires, and admiring it's beauty), Beaufort, and Savannah (squatting in the city , and doing fun things on a budget).  Then, we spent the last two weeks of the month in Jekyll Island, riding bikes, checking out driftwood beach and the er, swinging from ropes, and having a Thanksgiving potluck.

We finally left Jekyll Island on Friday morning, and we are going to be spending the next week trying to get as far south as fast as possible. Which brings me to my two main goals for this week:

1. Get to warmer waters.
When we left on Friday morning, I was bundled up in 4 layers on top, and 3 layers on bottom, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, a hat, and 2 hoods and I was still cold. Yesterday I was down to 3 layers on top, 2 on the bottom, a hat and one hood, but enough is enough already!  You know that song from Love Actually, Christmas is All Around? We made up our own words to it as we were cruising along the other day:

I can't feel my fingers,
I can't feel my toes.
If you really like sailing,
Just try it when it's cold.

That's as far as we got. We would take turns bursting out in song whenever we needed to have a good chuckle about just how ridiculously cold we were. It helped, temporarily.

2. Keep a positive attitude until we find those warmer waters.
The honest to goodness truth is, living on a boat is not easy. A lot of the time it's uncomfortable and just plain hard. Add in a little cabin fever,  a tiny bit of seasonal affective disorder, and extended periods of extremely windy and cold weather, and it's not always easy to stay positive. I need to work extra hard to keep my spirits up during times like this. 


So, we'll be putting in some long days this week, trying to outrun this cold and gloomy weather. We made it into Florida on Friday, but we probably have another three days or so until we hit the really nice temperatures. We can't wait to start enjoying some sunshine and putting all of those shorts and bathing suits we packed to good use!

linking up with the nectar collective for weekly wishes!

19 comments:

  1. I totally understand…well, kind of. I'm not living on icy cold water, but I do NOT want to take my rump outside to run when it's so bleak and cold. I am sending WARM wishes your way, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! all sounds pretty intense! but guys, it's been what, two months?! :)
    Geez.. You two are the big Heroes, really! :)
    Wish you all the best luck, and be strong, and stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of layers! Hope you hit warmer weather soon! Can't believe it's been two months already! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, love the Love Actually re-write! We re-wrote Taylor Swift's "Stay" to be about our cat one time, but we can't remember the lyrics anymore, and that's a bummer.

    How far south are ya'll planning to go? Hope it warms up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope you find warmer weather soon, the weather by the sea has been miserable the last few weeks. We are looking at a warm up here in South Carolina mid week and I'm pretty excited.

    Stay positive you'll make it to warmer weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just typed something, but I guess something went wrong with publishing the comment. I can't believe you have been on the boat for that long! I love your version of the song, and I guess I will be singing the first two sentences a lot this winter during my bikerides :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah I'm sure that does get pretty cold! I bet you could think up a few good lines to finish it off! :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like you just passed through St. Augustine?! That's where I live :) It's definitely been gloomy here in Northern Florida, I hope you guys find some warmer weather and sunshine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the words to the song :)
    And the girl before me mentioned St Augustine....Lauren and I LOVE that town! We thought about trying to meet y'all there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like a really neat place to visit! I hoping that we'll be able to work it into our stops on the way back!

      Delete
  9. Good luck on your travels (and with your goals)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get to warmer temperatures soon!! It's crazy to think that it's been 2 months already. What an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa sounds like some serious weather. Hope you get to warmer waters soon. Good luck with your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been pretty crazy! Apparently it's been a lot colder than usual this year. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I love the song lyrics you coined. :) Very clever. And I was cold just reading about it. I hope you get to warmer waters soon too! In the meantime, stay layered!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry for sending the chill your way!

      Delete
  13. Love your song! Very clever. Crossing my fingers for warmer weather this week! They're predicting 7 inches of snow on Friday here. So... that means maybe 1 inch will actually come. OK weatherpeople are famous for their wildly incorrect forecasts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I've been on a mini blogging sabbatical but I often wondered about you and how it was going and where you were! I'm so excited to be back and getting caught up! I would totally be heading for warmer waters too and I can't even imagine the cabin fever you're experiencing. But you're right, stay positive because you are doing the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...