Dec 20, 2013

to the keys!


We left the South Beach area on Tuesday, and headed to Dinner Key, where we picked up a mooring ball, got showers, and did some laundry. Dinner Key used to be an island, but the gap between it and the mainland was filled in in the early 1900's. The Marina and it's 200+ mooring balls (!) are the main attraction in the area, but back in the 1930's and 40's it was used as a base for Pan Am's flying boats, and was one of the world's largest airports. Today the Pan Am hangars are used for boat storage and the terminal building is now City Hall. The inside of the building has been renovated, but I love that Pan Am's blue globe logo still remains around the outside border. I live for facts like this when we visit new places! It also really makes me nostalgic for that short lived tv show.


After Dinner Key, we planned to anchor at Elliot Key, but when we arrived, we found that the anchorage wasn't very well protected from the wind. So we picked a random mangrove island instead, before moving on to Key Largo yesterday. We had beautiful weather and a great sail to Key Largo, and we're looking forward to settling in here for a few days!

8 comments:

  1. That is a really cool fact! I'm glad you're in much warmer weather now! Have fun in Key Largo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scenery! I loved Pan Am too. Sad that it didn't last longer than it did. One of my friends and I dressed up as Pan Am stewardesses for Halloween during the show's peak. She even found little blue Pan Am pins online for us to wear!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! I love that idea. And that she found the pins for you, too!

      Delete
  3. I've been reading along, even though I haven't commented. It's sounds like a great trip and your blog has been very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) I have been so terrible about commenting on blogs lately. I'm always a little paranoid about going over my data usage when I'm on the internet. But we have been blessed with a great experience so far, and I'm so glad that you've enjoyed following along!

      Delete
  4. I love all things Pan Am - reminds me of 'Catch Me If You Can' where everyone still dressed up to go on flights. Sigh. :)

    Have fun in Key Largo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas in the Keys…that has a nice ring to it! :) I love that they converted the old Pan Am buildings into modern practicalities. I love learning things like that when we travel, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? I might have to steal that one as a blog post title soon! ;)
      Me, too! I especially love when you can still see traces of a building's history even after it's been repurposed.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...