Jan 24, 2014

5 things i wouldn't live on a boat without


There are some things you couldn't (or shouldn't) live without on a boat; life jackets, vhf radio, charts, etc., etc. But after nearly four months of this lifestyle, I've come to realize that there are a few very specific things that I definitely wouldn't want to live on a boat without.

My top five:

1. Baseball hat. 
Absolutely necessary for the sun, the wind, and those times that you need to go out in public but you haven't washed your hair in several days. Forget about the cute straw hats that I brought, they blow away. The practicality of a baseball hat wins out.

2. Clorox wipes. 
I've probably mentioned several times already that we have to step down on our kitchen counter to enter the cabin of the boat. I think about that a lot. And I clean it a lot. We are living in such a small space that it gets dirty again as soon as it's clean. We can't really keep a bunch of wet cleaning rags laying around, so I don't know where we'd be without Clorox wipes. Well, I probably would not still be living on this boat, come to think about it.

3. Kindle.
I never understood why people would want to use an ereader. But I have already read 25 books since we left, and there is no way I could have brought that many paperbacks with me on this boat. The best part? Most of them were downloaded absolutely free from the library!

4. iPhone. 
Riley and I both held out on buying iPhones until last year before we left on this trip. Admittedly, I had wanted one long before, but I wasn't willing to pay for it and I couldn't justify the need for it anyway. We ended up buying them because it seemed to be the easiest and least expensive way for us to have internet access on the boat. Not only has it been useful in very important tasks such as checking the weather and publishing blog posts, but it's also been surprisingly comforting to connect with people via apps like instagram and twitter during a sometimes isolating experience.

5. Smoothies. 
One of the kitchen appliances that I knew that I was going to miss the most was my blender. I loved making smoothies for breakfast but our boat doesn't have enough power to support that kind of appliance, and our refrigeration system isn't cold enough to keep frozen food. Store bought smoothies are expensive and aren't quite the same as homemade, but they have become kind of a comfort food. Buying them in the larger size cuts down on the cost a little, although it is awfully heavy to carry back to the boat. They're worth their weight (ha!) though, especially since they last longer than fresh produce if we have to wait a bit between grocery trips.


And that's my list of five things I couldn't currently live without. 

 What would your five things be?



linking up with the five on friday girls:  DarciApril, Christina and Natasha
and Casey's fresh face friday

16 comments:

  1. My five things are along the same lines... I definitely wouldn't go anywhere without my Kindle (so many books, so little space), and my iPhone (though at the time it was given to me I also thought it unnecessary) has been surprisingly useful because of its internet capabilities (I mostly use it as a portable GPS). The other three are more indulgences - tea bags (best way to start the morning), beer (because 6-packs are cheaper than the bar), and good quality chocolate (it goes a long way because you don't want to over-indulge for fear of it disappearing). And of course, my husband and our cat, although I'm not so sure the cat would enjoy a boat trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your list! I have a hard time believing a cat would enjoy living on a boat too, but a few people we've met along the way do have them aboard! And you're right about the good quality chocolate, lately I've been buying a dark sea salt chocolate and it does last a lot longer. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the Kindle, I LOVE real books but if I had to live in a small space I'd still want to read so the e-reader would be my biggest necessity. Oh and maybe baby wipes so I could feel a little fresh even when I couldn't shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a cute straw hat and live in a super windy area .... now I'm thinking twice about that =). I definitely would take my iPhone too. It's an essential especially in traveling. I also would take my camera with me. Currently, it's one of my sidekicks.

    Loved reading your list - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would want all of these items with me too if I was living on a boat! I would be wiping the entire thing down with clorox wipes ... all the time. Love those smoothies!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my Five would be the same! I couldn't live without my phone and internet service and something to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh I love the green machine SO MUCH. Yum. I want one right now.
    Also.... I feel like you missed a rather glaring item: chapstick. Or, did you leave the blender at home in favor of filling that spot in your suitcase with chapstick? Or have you learned to live without it? Is this too many questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've tried just about every flavor out there now and the green machine is my absolute favorite!
      Well, I figured that something so essential to my very being didn't even need to be listed. It's just a given. :)

      Delete
  7. I just found your blog through the linkup. Love that you and your hubs are living on a sailboat and getting to travel too!! Super jealous!!! Can't wait to follow along :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coming on over from my own blog where you left a lovely comment and so glad I did! I totally agree with you about Kindles; I couldn't imagine using one and not a real book but it's an absolute lifesaver when travelling (boat or otherwise!). Following your blog and looking forward to reading more of your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my iPhone, I love my Kindle, and I love Clorox Wipes!!! I'm pretty sure I also couldn't live without Coke. Haha.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I held out on getting a kindle for so long and even after my mother got me one for Christmas, it was almost a year before I used it. I just couldn't let my books go! However, once I finally caved I pretty much became addicted and never miss an opportunity to check something out of the Prime library - it's the best way to get paperbacks that I am not sure I'm going to *love*

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Allison! I just found your blog via twitter and I'm so fascinated with your adventure! You are brave sister! Since I'm super late to the party - how far into the journey are you?? I'm make sure to start keeping up!

    Kali
    Kaliwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome that you've been able to read so many books for free! I read books on my iPad as well and the free ones are so worth it! I don't think I could live without my iPhone, Advocare Spark energy drink daily, music {thankfully always on my iPhone in the case a radio isn't available}.. and that's all I can really think of right now! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, free books are such a treasure! Good list! I would have thought that we would be listening to more music ourselves, I guess we just keeping forgetting??

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...