Jan 2, 2014

A rockin' new year

the last sunset of 2013

Happy New Year!  I hope yours is off to a much smoother start than ours is!

We had a really nice sail into Key West, but things have proven difficult since then.  As soon as we had settled into a mooring field, winds picked up to 30 miles an hour, and we were grateful to have made it just in time.  Since the water near Key West is so shallow, we have to drive about a mile into shore on our dinghy.  With the high winds and waves, there was no way that we would be traveling to shore to check out the New Years Eve festivities, which was a bit of a disappointment.  Instead, we made a nice dinner together on the boat.  But after that, it was so dark out in the middle of nowhere mooring field  that Riley just kept falling asleep on me. When I woke him up for the third time and he said, "at least we get to spend New Years hanging our feet over the side of a waterfall," I knew it was a lost cause. I gave up and went to bed. Or, attempted to, at least. Trying to sleep in those conditions would be comparable to curling up and trying to take a nap on a large trampoline that someone else is enthusiastically jumping up and down on.  In a redeeming move, Riley had set his alarm to five minutes before midnight, so we did stumble outside and watch a few minutes of some tiny fireworks being set off on the other side of the island.

We attempted another anchorage last night, to see if we would have any better results, but we failed again.  There is so much boat traffic in Key West, that instead of bobbing up and down on the waves created by the wind in the mooring field, we were tossed relentlessly from side to side from the wakes caused by passing boats.  All day, and all night long.  We've gotten used to quite a bit, and can sleep through a lot on a boat now, but this was a whole new ballpark.  We laid awake in bed all night, and at first light we were up and moving again.  Wish us luck on this spot, because we're running out of options!


15 comments:

  1. Ahh I hope the third time's a charm and you can get some sleep there! Very pretty sunset!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, the constant rocking sounds awful! I would be so motion sick. Head to smoother seas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things get better for you guys, not the Key West I imagined probably not you either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such an adventure. I would definitely get seasick. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The constant rocking would kill it for me too. Hope you find some smoother water to dock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD LUCK! Third times the charm!! Hope you have better luck today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel terrible for y'all not getting any sleep!!! I wish Riley had let Lauren book the suite with two bedrooms when we come down so y'all could sleep in a real bed in the quiet :(
    I am getting so excited to see you and Riley and Giggles!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must both have stomachs of steel! When my mom and I were on our cruise, we both got horribly seasick from all the rocking. Hopefully things start looking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we really must. I keep waiting for one of us to get sick, it seems to me that it should be much more likely for us to get sick than not. But it really is a blessing that we haven't!

      Delete
  9. Ick! Doesn't sound at all fun! Good luck for your next mooring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oy, that doesn't sound fun at all. You must need sleep. I'm tired for you! Hoping for some calmer waters for you and more restful nights soon!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, gonna be honest here - i didn't even read this post yet because i am SO excited about following your awesome, awesome blog. you are living my DREAM, living on a boat! how cool. as soon as i read your about i knew i'd be in love with this blog. So...off to read! happy 2014 from your newest follower! love, taylor
    bloganticipation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm so glad that you stopped by! :) It's a crazy experience for sure. If it's something that you really want to do I hope that you will make it happen one day! Feel free to ask me any questions you might have! I'm no expert by any means, but I'd be glad to share what I know. :)

      Delete
  12. hopefully you have better luck soon! happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a rough New Years indeed kiddo - I hope your next stop is more peaceful and friendly for you guys =\ At least you two were together and hopefully warm :) Don't worry my bf passed out too and I woke him up in time to watch the ball drop and give me a wet one. Have a great one and happy 2014 Allison! -Iva

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...