Jan 10, 2014

the best of key west


For awhile there, it didn't look like I'd be able to say this, but fortunately, we were able to leave this morning on good terms with Key West. After getting ourselves safely tucked into a marina away from the wind, we had a great time exploring the island and visiting with Riley's sister and brother in law who were there on vacation.

Some of our Key West favorites were:


Duval Street. We found ourselves wandering up and down Duval several times over the course of the week. That's where you'll find most of the restaurants, bars, shops, and people. We had a delicious lunch at Grand Cafe on Duval one afternoon.


Pepe's. We had the best happy hour drinks at Pepe's and also had a great breakfast there one morning. From the outside it's an unassuming little place, but it has a lot of character and delicious food and drinks.


Mallory Square. This is the place to go to watch the sunset and the street entertainers. We never got to actually see a sunset, but we did see a great act involving a unicycle and flaming torches.



Tourist photo spots. The most obvious tourist photo spot is at the southernmost point buoy. You'll stand in a very long, but friendly and fast moving line where everyone takes the photo of the couple ahead of them. We had already done this five years ago on our honeymoon, so we skipped it this time around. I did however find a great wall for a touristy photo over at the Cuban Coffee Queen. There's no line for this one, and in fact, the nearby gigantic man made of sponges was getting more attention than this wall.

All in all, we're so glad that we stuck it out until we were able to actually enjoy ourselves in Key West. But now, it's time to move on once again.

16 comments:

  1. I've only been to Key West once and I loved it! If there is one place I want to go again is Key West and I wouldn't even mind driving from Miami since the drive is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also went to Key West on our honeymoon via cruise, and only got to stay for one day. I wish we could have stayed longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures - they honestly make me so, so jealous! All these pretty places and beautiful stories you're going to get to talk all about some day :) You guys are the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. :) It certainly will make for great memories. I'm just glad that it's all being recorded so that we'll actually remember some of the details, too. ;)

      Delete
  4. So glad you finally got to enjoy Key West!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you guys take a tour of the Little White House where Harry Truman vacationed? My mom and I totally took the tour when we were there :) We didn't get to see the actual southermost point, though. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we missed that! I don't think I even knew about it. We didn't go to Hemmingway's house either, so now I've got two things on my list if we ever go back! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't even notice them until you said so. They did have some inside too though, and I did notice those. :)

      Delete
  7. Love the pictures! I'm so glad to see you're leaving on good terms! Where are you headed next? Happy Weekend and Happy Travels to you! Oh, and I've been meaning to ask how the shower has been working out for you??

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun! fun! I loved Key West but of course, I wasn't on a boat, stuck. =) I drank a massive amount of Cuban coffee daily. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and its amazing! I love the idea of sailing and exploring the world! Wonderful and sweet.

    -Brittany
    http://pittsburghglamour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you finally had a chance to explore Key West and that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...