Feb 21, 2014

5 favorite insta-memories


As we've started to travel through areas that we visited during our first few months of this trip, I have noticed myself looking back through my instagram feed more often.  As we're passing through an area, I'll look through my photos and say, "hey, remember this when we were here 11 weeks ago… 11 weeks ago!"  It's really kind of a neat thing.  I've noticed that quite a few of my favorite moments from this trip were captured on instagram, but never really made it to the blog, so I thought I'd share them today.

1. Sketching out our anchorage for the night.
For the first several weeks of the trip, after we had finished traveling for the day and had settled in our anchorage for the night, I got in the habit of sitting outside in the evening light and sketching out the scenery around us.  Then I'd make a journal entry of the days events.  Sadly, it started getting too cold to be sitting out there sketching in the evening, and by the time it warmed up again I was out of the habit.  But, I have managed to write a journal entry for every single day of the trip.  Longest consecutive journal of my life!



2. A perfect sail to Key Largo.
You'd probably be surprised to find out how little sailing we actually do.  Our boat can actually sail faster than it can motor, but… the wind has to be coming from the right direction.  Since we are "cruising sailors," we only sail when there's a favorable wind. Otherwise, we save a lot more time and unnecessary miles by motoring.  But when those perfect sailing days do come along, we appreciate them so much more!  There is something so peaceful (and quiet!) and soothing about it.  We had one of those perfect days on our way to Key Largo, and it's one I'll never forget.



3. Watching the storm roll in
Our first few days in Key West were rough, to put it mildly.  There is no good, protected anchorage to keep a boat, and the best we could find was still a mile ride into shore on a slow dinghy.  We also got caught in some really bad weather and were pretty much stuck on the boat.  We eventually gave in and shelled out the big bucks to stay in a marina, and it changed our entire experience.  Not long after we had safely tied up to the dock, another front came rolling in.  In just a matter of minutes the sky turned dark, the temperature dropped significantly, and the wind started howling around us.  Everyone on the boats near us ran to the end of the dock and we literally watched (and heard) the storm rolling in.  It was a pretty awesome sight.  Especially, of course, since we were safely at a dock.



4. The sound of Taps as the sun set over the water.
We spent quite a bit of time, on two different occasions, at the mooring field in Boot Key Harbor at Marathon.  It's a popular place for cruisers and they have formed a great community there.  One of my favorite memories during our stay is hearing the sound of one of the cruisers playing Taps on his trumpet in the evenings.  There's just something about hearing that melody as the sun set over the water that's going to stay with me forever.



5. Dinner at Lorelei's
After one of our long days of traveling, we anchored in a nice little spot just off shore of a restaurant called Lorelei's.  Live music, good food and drinks, and a view of the sunset over the water… it's just what you might expect to do at the Keys, but something that we hadn't experienced nearly enough.  It was so nice to be able to just take a short trip to shore, and we even got to bring Gidget along too (I always have a guilty conscience when we have to leave her behind).  It was one of the absolute best ways to spend an evening.


It was hard to narrow it down to just five, I have so many other favorite memories!  You can find me on instagram as @allisonsutphin, if you'd like to follow along!

Happy Friday!


linking up with DarciAprilChristina and Natasha for Five on Friday.

13 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous photos. I am still so jealous of your adventure. And I love the idea of sketching every day. What a great and creative way to preserve your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sketching and journaling sound (and look) like organically beautiful ideas! I would love to see some of your sketches! and gosh, that picture of the sunset (w/ Taps) just pulled tears right out of me! I can hear them. They played at my daddy's funeral and a sunset over the sea for my Marine is very symbolic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo. #4. Jordan would probably die of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo with the silhouette of the boats against the sunset, beautiful! Am interested in seeing some sketches from the beginning of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess I can't take too much credit for it, it was just right there waiting for me!

      They're nothing impressive, but I'll see what I can do. :)

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are beautiful! Insta-jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool that you sail most times. id love to learn the basics of sailing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning quite a bit about it myself! If you're interested you should definitely look into it!

      Delete
  7. Ugh, my heart is aching for an adventure like you two have had! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll find a way to have an adventure of your own! No matter what kind or what size. :)

      Delete
  8. Hearing Taps as the sun sets must have been amazing! That one is my favorite photo I think so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the link up and so glad to have found your blog! What an exciting adventure! So excited to keep up with it:) hope you have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...