Feb 24, 2014

florida: the good, the bad, and the beautiful


Well, we've covered a lot of miles this weekend, and have crossed states lines faster than I can post about them!  We've said goodbye to Florida, and have traveled through Georgia.  It just doesn't feel right to leave a place behind without a proper sendoff, though.  We spent about two and a half months total in Florida, and really did see the best of times and the worst of times!


The Good:

-The sun! As we made our way into central Florida, we said good bye to the gray skies and starting shedding some of our winter layers.

-The blue water.  There were so many gorgeous different shades of blue I even found myself snapping pictures of just the water for future reference (for what exactly, I'm not sure…).

-The scenery. Palm trees and Spanish moss? The perfect foliage combination if you ask me!

-The architecture. One of the things I noticed about Florida is how varied it's architecture is. From Spanish-influenced to ultra modern and everything in between. And most of the homes along the water were gorgeous mansions, so there was always something to ogle at!

-Visits from family!


The Bad:

-Along with warmer weather came the humidity. The whole time that we were in southern Florida everything in the boat just felt damp, and it was really kind of gross! I'd put on a clean shirt or climb into bed at night and everything would feel wet. Not a pleasant feeling!

-Key West. I've talked about the rough time we had during the first part of our stay in Key West, so I won't go into detail again. We know now not to visit it again by boat!

-Engine trouble. We had about three or four incidents where things just stopped working. Fortunately, they all seem to be ok now, they just caused a lot of unwelcome stress and inconvenience (and expense) at the time.

-Boat traffic. Florida was definitely the most congested as far as boat traffic goes. Especially on the weekends! Unfortunately, not everyone is very considerate about throwing huge wakes.



The Beautiful:
Between the palm trees, the tiny, uninhabited islands, the sandy beaches, and the cities, there was a lot of beauty to behold along Florida's coast! Some of my favorite sights (you can click on the name to read my post about the place in case you missed it):







Thanks for the memories, Florida!

10 comments:

  1. I live in south FL and go back and forth to Key West once or twice a month. It's a beautiful state and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Even with the bad, the scenery more than makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh those pictures all of them, so beautiful! I hope we have some nice weather one the coast for the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over how beautiful it all is! You spent a lot of time in FL!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful place! So much to see, even with all the time we spent there I feel like we missed quite a bit! We'll just have to make another visit. :)

      Delete
  4. You guys are booking it back up the coast!! Love seeing all the pretty pictures of Florida!!! Even better hearing about warmer weather. I am so ready for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great sendoff and post to look back on your trip. Hope you have smooth sailing on the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the most beautiful photos! I lived in Florida right after college. The humidity was crazy. We loved St. Augustine! It was probably one of our favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading back through your posts. So excited that you now on the coast of Georgia. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You spent a lot of time in Florida! I have a lot of pictures of the water from different trips to Florida that I've made over the years. The water is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...