Feb 6, 2014

just me and you (and our little dog, too)


Riley, Gidget and I haven't just been living on a little boat together these past four months. We've also been living in our own little world; our own little bubble. In this microscopic community that we have created that each one contributes to in their own way, each one is loved and appreciated, each one feels safe and secure (well, as much as can be expected).


I only realized the strength of our little bubble this past week when we suddenly had the misfortune of running into just about every mean and angry person on or near the water. It made me feel physically sick. Riley pointed out that when you've only really been in contact with people who love and support you for four months straight, it's easy to forget what else is out there.


We know each other's worries and fears. We know each other's joy. We know the best parts of each other's day, and the worst parts. They are always the same. More than half of the times that Riley turns to me to speak, I already know exactly what he's going to say. But it doesn't make things boring. On the contrary, in an experience where so much of each individual day is unknown, it's one of the most precious comforts. 


Gidget brings the eternal optimism and the cuddles. Always the cuddles.

Riley brings the strength, the know-how, and the determination.

I bring the support and encouragement. And perhaps a cheesy sense of humor and, well… dinner.


Even on the worst, most stressful days, we have each other, and at the end of those days, that's really all that matters. Even at their stinkiest (and they can get pretty stinky), I couldn't be more grateful for them. There are no other two creatures on the planet that I would rather be in this with.  And for that, I feel so incredibly blessed.




linking up with Nicole from Treasure Tromp today

13 comments:

  1. I just love this little story...I honestly look forward to a post almost every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful to hear about how you find strength in each other. You have such a sweet little family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you guys do so well together, heck if not you probably would be blogging about this still because Riley would have left you in SC (;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little family! What a great experience it must be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great reminder of what's really important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm afraid I need that reminder all too often myself. :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you are encountering some grumpy Gus's but you are right that little family is all you need. Block out the world and enjoy those surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing reminder that all you really need is your family! :) I'm so glad I can follow along in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good that you find such strength in your family. Can't imagine being cooped up on a boat when you're not happy with one another! ;) I'm sorry you encountered meanies! Grr!! I hope things only get better! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that could be pretty miserable. That's not to say that we don't ever annoy each other every now and then too, though. :)
      Fortunately, we have also met a lot of really nice people along the way and of course, that makes the not so nice ones stand out even more.

      Delete
  9. I somehow missed this post. Love it. May we all spend the majority of our time in the company of such connections.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      That would be my wish as well!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...