Feb 20, 2014

life on a sailboat q&a: part 1



So, I only asked you guys if you had any questions for me…oh, about a month ago, so I'm sincerely sorry it has taken me this long to start answering them. I had considered doing so in a video, but you wouldn't believe how easy it is to find excuses not to. The wind was too loud, the boat was rocking too much, I hadn't showered in too many days, I didn't have enough wifi to download it anyway… you know, the usual. So we'll just stick to good, old fashioned type.



1. What made you decide to live on a boat?

Riley had come up with this idea as kind of a "someday before I die," thing, but he couldn't stop talking about it. So we decided to make it a "right now before we have kids," thing instead. We were both feeling like we needed to shake things up a little, and it seemed like as good a time as any to do it.



2. Do you and your husband run out of things to talk about? Is it difficult spending a lot of time together with not much time to yourself?

I'd say that instead of running out of things to talk about, we seem to have better, more meaningful conversations than we've ever had before. Especially lately, as we're trying to figure out what we want next in life and what steps we need to take to make that happen.

As far as having time to ourselves, sometimes Riley might run errands on shore while I stay behind with the boat, or one of us will sit outside while the other one's inside. It's not much space, haha, but it seems to do the trick!



3. How did your families handle this decision and being gone for the holidays?

Both of our families were really encouraging and supportive from the very beginning. Since we lived near both of our immediate families in Virginia, it was an adjustment not seeing each other whenever we felt like it. But we've stayed in touch on the phone, and we've had some family come and visit us along the way too, which was really nice. We sure did miss a lot of holidays, but maybe that will just make next year all the more special!



4. Is there anything that you wish you would have packed because it would be handy to have on the boat? Anything that you packed that you haven't used and have been tempted to throw overboard?

In general, I actually think we did pretty well when it came to packing. Especially considering we had never done anything like this before! I definitely should have brought more winter layers though, and we both wish we would have brought along some movies and tv shows on dvd!

I did pack way too many bathing suits. I only really needed one maybe three times. I had also packed a few nicer things, thinking that we might want to go out more, but when it comes down to it, getting on and off a dinghy all the time is tricky and things get wet and dirty, so I've been living in just jeans and t-shirts.



5. Any creature comforts that you miss?

At this point, the list could be really long! We both miss the ease of having our own shower and a real bathroom, a rectangular bed, a car to get around… and really anything else that comes along with living in a house! I miss my shoes. And this sounds silly but...terry cloth. Microfiber towels just aren't the same! Oh, and a paycheck sounds pretty good, too!




Thanks again for submitting all of your questions, and waiting so long for answers! I divided them up, so I'll be posting part 2 next week. That one involves some "potty talk," so that should be fun!

16 comments:

  1. So fun hearing about this in a Q&A type setting!!! Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you packed pretty well considering not having done this before. The shower would be something I would miss the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a neat post, girl. I love reading about this adventure. I don't think I would've done all that well when it came to the packing, though! I just have such a rough time choosing between everything - even though living in jeans and t-shirts sounds pretty wonderful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really was hard to narrow it down… you should have seen the mess I made with all of my clothes for weeks before I was able to make decisions!!

      Delete
  4. It's been very fun and interesting to read about your adventure! Thanks for answering the questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been so interesting to read about your trip! I missed the call for questions (whoops) but you tend to eventually answer everything I wonder, anyway. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you posted this! I wouldn't know what to ask so I'm glad that other people did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this... a great peek into your boat life :) oddly enough your packing answer is similar to what I wish I would have brought to Taiwan. I thought I'd be more fancy here but tshirt and jeans seems to win all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There really is nothing like the comfort of throwing on jeans and a t-shirt. It's just so easy! I have to admit, I am ready for a little variety, though!

      Delete
  8. Yay! Good stuff :) It's great that your families have been supportive! I feel blessed to have the same type of family. Looking forward to the potty talk, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read part two! I love that you choose adventure before children I think that's a better way to do it than waiting until you are retired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. About those missed holidays...we still need to have Thanksgiving dinner even if it is in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you guys did this before having kids. While we did not plan either of ours, we would have liked to do more traveling pre-kids. Will have to add this to a with kids list or a once we are empty nester's list. I love following your blog. Hope to see you on the travel tuesday link up this week! We are sharing travel tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've seen a few families traveling with kids, but it would make for a bit of a "cozier" experience on a small boat! :) Definitely add it to your list! I wished I had started traveling sooner myself, there just isn't enough life to fit it all in! :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing! It is so interesting to read your stories and lifestyle on the boat! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...