Feb 26, 2014

life on a sailboat q&a: part 2


Finally, the rest of the answers to all of your questions! Thanks again for submitting so many great ones!



1. How has Gidget been on the trip? What do you do with her when you go exploring? And where does she go to the bathroom?

Gidget has been a really good sport the entire time, she's usually perfectly content as long as she has a lap to sit on! And she loves watching the surroundings while we're traveling. However, she's also been a lot of extra work. Especially for Riley, who is usually the one to take her to shore even when the weather is rough. We never were successful in training her to use the puppy pad that we bought for the boat, so we have to take her to shore to use the bathroom at least twice a day. We try to take her ashore with us whenever possible, especially if there's a beach she can play on, but she's perfectly comfortable staying alone on the boat if we have to run errands without her.



2. What's the bathroom situation like? Do you have a shower on the boat? How do you handle being unshowered for long periods of time?

Okay, so that's a picture of our "bathroom" above. It consists of a toilet and a hand pump sink. Originally, there was a hand held shower extension, but since our bed and closet are right there too, it really wasn't practical at all. In case you're really interested, here are the down and dirty details about boat toilets (If not, skip to the next paragraph!).  So, you use the toilet, and then you have to hand pump all of the water out of it (see the blue handle?), and then enough clean water back in, in order to push all of the "stuff" through the plumbing lines. Everything collects in a small holding tank behind the toilet that eventually fills up. Then we have to get to a place where we can have the holding tank pumped out. It's a lot of extra effort, it's gross, and sometimes it just plain old stinks.


We did bring a solar shower with us to use outside in the cockpit, but we really have only used it a handful of times. It just hasn't been warm enough all that often for me to justify standing outside to take a shower! Especially without a hair dryer to use afterwards.  We try to get to a place that has public showers every couple of days. In the meantime, we use a lot of baby wipes!



3. When you get off the boat do you still feel like you're floating on water?

So far, I haven't noticed this. I have wondered though, if once we move back on land if I'll ever feel like our house is moving. I wouldn't be surprised!



4. Have you ever feared being stuck at sea or possibly capsizing?

There were a few times when we had engine trouble that we felt a little stuck, meaning we were too far from land to dinghy ashore and try to find parts. But we do have tow insurance, and we did put it to good use once!

We really shouldn't ever be in a situation where our boat would capsize completely, but there have been a few times in rough weather that we rocked a little too far for my comfort level!



5. How do you get internet?

For the most part, we use our smart phones to make an internet hotspot. We just have to keep a close eye on our usage so that we don't go over our data plan. Usually, service is pretty good, but there have been a few times (like today!) that I've tried getting a blog post to publish for about three hours before it would actually work!

If we want to download something though, like books or movies, we have to find a place with free wifi in order to do so.


I hope that answers all of your questions! If there's ever anything else you want to know, don't hesitate to ask!

15 comments:

  1. This is so interesting and fun to read! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting to get a glimpse into your life! The part about the toilet was funny, but it is such a minor part of the experience right?
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would think so, but we actually spend a ridiculous amount of time considering our toilet situation! It has to be pumped out every three days or so, and it can't be done just anywhere, so a lot of time that influences our decisions about when and where to travel. And you can't pump it too much, or too little, or use too much paper, and I could go on and on… :) It is near the very top of my list of things I highly dislike about living on a boat!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea you could get insurance for tows! I think the not-showering-every-single-day thing would bother me the most. I never quite figured out dry shampoo, and it's my hair that would kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be interesting to see what your daily habits will be once you're back on land again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how Gidget does on the boat. Did she have to go through an adjustment period or was she fine with it right away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, so interesting! Whenever we go boating and I have to potty in that little room, I immediately get nausea and claustrophobic! My grandpa used to own a marina and his house sat on a barge, parked in the marina at a dock. I always loved going there and I thought it was the coolest thing to live "on the water" but I had a hard time sleeping there because of the motion sometimes. I'd never survive doing what yall are doing but I think it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The not showering thing would bother me the most. Do you ever just jump in the water to rinse off or do you worry about sharks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Allison! I'm back at blogging. I'm happy to be on here and able to read about your adventures again! Hope you are doing well. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The toilet situation sounds like maybe the least fun part of the whole trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your head looks just like the one on my boyfriend's boat! If we're at the marina, I always just use the bathroom there because that pump just annoys me so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So informative. I really love that you are able to have your dog as part of your experience! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! I never could have left her behind for that long… although looking back, it might have been a little easier if we had. :)

      Delete
  12. For all the effort you have to go through to go potty and get clean, you all are beautiful people...ER, except one of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Find the latest used and new boats for sale.
    Great used boat deals and prices.
    More here www.postallads4free.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...