Feb 5, 2014

lindsay lohan named my blog



I've been thinking a lot about this blog lately; how it started, where it is now, and where it's going. It started as an extension of my Etsy jewelry shop (the one I have temporarily shut down while we're traveling on the boat). And then, once we set sail it became a sort of travel diary, one that I will always treasure… but it has absolutely nothing to do with where I started. And then, once we move back onto land, then what happens?


It all feels a little disjointed. What kind of blog is this anyway? What does "The Bauble Dept." have to do with a couple living on a sailboat, traveling the East Coast?


Speaking of, did I ever tell you where the name came from? Here's an embarrassing confession:

The name "The Bauble Dept." actually came from a really cheesy made for tv movie starring Lindsay Lohan, Get a Clue… have you seen it? No, of course you haven't, and even if you had, you might not want to admit to it anyway. Unless of course, really cheesy made for tv movies are your guilty pleasure too. In my defense, this was way back in 2002, so I was really only like 10 years older than the target audience instead of maybe 20.


Long story short, Lindsay Lohan's character is walking through the mall with Bug Hall's character (remember Alfalfa in Little Rascals?!), spouting out some random facts about a certain brooch, something to do with some mystery they were solving. Bug, in awe of her wealth of useless knowledge about jewelry, asks where she possibly stores information like that. Her response? The bauble department!


Sitting on the couch in the basement way back in 2002, I thought this was one of the most clever things I had ever heard (and given the age level of my taste in movies, it probably was), and I told myself that if I ever happened to have my own jewelry shop (with no real intention of doing so), I would name it The Bauble Dept. Fast forward thirteen years, and I finally got to put it to good use!


A few months later, I created a blog under the same name. Now that I think about it, maybe in a way it does still makes sense after all. "The Bauble Dept." may have nothing to do with traveling the coast in a sailboat, but I suppose it is where I store all of my random useless information, whether it's about jewelry, recipes, sailboats, or something else entirely.


And if nothing else, it's nice to be reminded of the Lindsay Lohan of the good old days, right?






Bell Bliss

29 comments:

  1. Such a cute story! I loved that movie too and am not afraid to admit it. That was back when Lindsey Lohan was cute and innocent. Thank you for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean............mine started as extension of my shop but it is more than just what's in my shop. how to intergrate everything.......it's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- you NEED to wear that hat all the time......it's AWESOME on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that's how your blog was named! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, hello! I am your newest follower and so glad that I stumbled upon your blog from the link up. Love your cute story, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by, and for following along! :)

      Delete
  6. I am a new follower. Just wandered over here from the link up. I used to watchtower his movie a bunch too along with Parent Trap. Oh the innocent days of Lindsay Lohan. I am more intrigued by the fact that you are living on a sailboat. Now I am just going to wander around your blog and try to catch up. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this name! And that might be my new response to when people ask me about where I keep my own random knowledge. It's a keeper of a name, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it should be! I still think it's a pretty clever response myself. :)

      Delete
  8. I love hearing where people came up with their blog names! I think yours is original and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way for your blog and shop name to come about. I always thought your name did kind of sound water related because it is kind of sounds like 'bubble' and you have lots of bubbles in the water =). I know, so cheesy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I love this story! Lindsay Lohan... Happy to be new follower! Tatteredtotaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for following along, so happy to have you!

      Delete
  11. I need to find that movie. My kids might like it!
    I think it's great that you had a blog title picked out ready and waiting! I changed my blog name mid-stream, but so glad I did. I think it's a better description.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting! No judgement here. I thought you were going to say you were shutting this blog down, and I almost had a heart attack. I LOVE YOU.
    Too weird? No, don't answer that.

    I should participate in this. Want to know where my blog name came from? Fantasy football! No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally watched that movie all the time! Love the story! :)

    www.mermademoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh to be reminded of when Lindsey was actually innocent and humble. To funny that it came from a movie, but I think it still fits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the origin of the name....I love the fact that you are living on a sailboat even more. Sounds so fun! Glad I found you through the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww I love the story behind yours too. Ok- so you left Baltimore and now travel on a boat, that's a little more amazing than what I'm doing haha. I'm going to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was also wondering- where you grew up. You and your husband may know my boyfriend. He grew up in Annapolis and was on the sailing team in high school and college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annapolis is such a beautiful city! I actually grew up in Howard County and my husband has always lived in the mountains of Virginia, so neither one of us even had a sailing background. I'm sure my husband would have loved to be on the sailing team, though, if he had grown up on the water! :)

      Delete
  18. This makes me think of that pin that says something like, "I like to believe that somewhere the british Lindsay Lohan is living this great happy life"

    Boy, I really wonder what that "never before seen ending" is like.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE that movie! I bought patchwork jeans just like hers ;). Love the name and the story behind it! I'm so glad I found your blog through the link-up, can't wait to read more!

    Kailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh how fun! I think she did have some crazy outfits in that movie… I seem to remember a furry pink jacket, maybe?

      Delete
  20. I love it! I haven't watched that movie, but I do love made-for-TV movies. Like, a lot. So I totally approve that you got the name of your blog from one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stopping by from the link-up! I totally remember that movie. I think there was a music video to go along with the theme song for the movie that they played incessantly, too. I was like 17 and watching that movie, don't judge... Your blog name is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have seen that movie, but only because I worked at a Blockbuster in college. That fact is maybe even more embarrassing than having seen the movie.

    I just recently discovered your blog, and I've spent time combing through the archives. No matter what the content is, it has always been good. :) I hope you decide to keep writing here and sharing your adventures. They're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a wonderful story and I think it's a very fitting name…it's very unique! And I love cheesy made for tv movies-especially at Christmas when I'm feeling extra cheesy! :) With that being said, I don't think your blog name is cheesy at all-it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha, I love this! It really is a good and fitting name your blog has.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...