Feb 28, 2014

the final days

a cold morning in south carolina

It's hard to put into words exactly how it feels to be on the last leg of this little adventure. We're pretty much booking it home now, putting in long days of traveling and trying to outrun (somewhat unsuccessfully) cold weather and empty wallets. We have done and seen so much that it feels like surely we have been doing this forever, but at the same time, it went by in a blink of an eye. And really, five months is just a blink of an eye when you consider the big picture. But that time has certainly affected us in ways that will impact the rest of our lives.


I don't want leave the water behind. Or the opportunity to see new sights everyday. The chance to experience life in a completely new way. I want to soak up these last moments, and appreciate them to their fullest. I'm left with a feeling of sadness… accompanied by a heaping dose of anxiety. Life on a boat isn't easy, but I have it pretty much figured out now, and what awaits me on land is a whole new series of obstacles and unknowns. We anticipated the consequences of picking up our lives and taking off for several months, but now it's time to actually start dealing with them. Where will we live? Do we have enough money? Will I be able to find a job? My heart starts racing when I think of all there is to do, and boy do I have a lot of time to think about it during these long days of traveling. The hardest part is that there's not much I can do about any of it until we are actually back, except pray for peace of mind and faith that everything will work out, and try not to dwell. But even as I write this out, my heart starts racing again.


On the other hand, when we experience moments like the last 48 hours, which have been so cold, and wet, and windy, we are very ready to be home. The excitement is starting to wind down, and we're cold and tired. Operation Eat all the Food is in full swing, and the pickings are getting slim. When I wake up at 2am because my head is freezing and I need to find a hat in order to go back to sleep, I can't wait to be back in a climate controlled house. When I spend my days keeping poor, chilled Riley supplied with hot coffee, and mopping up puddles of condensation inside that are dripping from well... everywhere, I think maybe it's a good thing that we're almost home. And really, I can't wait to see where we are going to live, and I'm excited about life on land again. I have a whole long list of hobbies I want to try, skills and ideas I want to learn about, recipes I want to make, and I can hardly wait to get started.


If all goes well, we should be home next week. Next week! Until then, we will be bundled up, taking in the beauty of the sun rising over the steam coming off of the icy water, simultaneously savoring and counting down the days.

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy the last week of your journey!! The unknown is kind of scary, but I am sure everything will work out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the last part of your journey is absolutely amazing, even if it is a bit cold. The photos from South Carolina are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next week? Good grief. Well, I know I'll miss your adventures. On water, at least. I know you'll have tons of land adventures to share too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting :) Such an amazing adventure you guys had together! And just remember... when your heart starts racing, remind yourself that God brought you this far, and He will continue to lead you the rest of the way with many more amazing adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun trip you have had! Thanks for sharing your adventures on the water with us.

    I understand change and the fear of all the unknown. God will work it all out for you. I know that's a simple answer but it is so true. He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful adventure to be completing and thank you for letting us all travel vicariously through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming along! :)

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine all the thoughts and emotions going through your minds! I hope you enjoy the last leg of your wonderful adventure and I pray that everything comes together once you get back home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine how conflicted you must be to leave something so beautiful behind for now (even though shipboard life has its challenges!) for uncertainty/excitement. Best of luck during the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting, emotional, uncertain time! Stay warm and safe travels on the last leg of THIS adventure. There are many more to come, I'm sure.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We tried to stay as warm as we possibly could! :)

      Delete
  10. What an amazing journey you all have had, hope this last week is amazing. Soak in all the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. next week! what a journey! it feels like its been a blink of an eye but i know y'all will have the memories forever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I cannot believe that you're getting to the end of this crazy, yet awesome journey!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...