Feb 14, 2014

"this is a date"


Happy Valentine's Day!

This will be our fifth (and final!) holiday that we celebrate on the boat.  Although, one of us argues that it doesn't really count as a holiday.  Good thing that one of us is a good sport about it anyway!

(Click to see how we celebrated Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's on the boat!)



We caught the free bus to the beach the other day, and as we were walking along the boardwalk Riley said, "You know, since we're together all the time now, we don't really go on 'real' dates anymore.  So, this is a date."And so we walked along, and down near the water, and we enjoyed the weather and the scenery and each other's company.  And it was a date.

I think something special happens just in the small act of designating a moment as a "celebration."  That's kind of how we have celebrated holidays on this boat in general.  We haven't done anything outrageous to celebrate, but just knowing that it was a special moment made even the ordinary things seem a little more extraordinary.

And that's how we'll be celebrating Valentine's Day, too.  There won't be an exchange of flowers or gifts, or even an elaborate dinner.  In fact, we left Vero Beach bright and early this morning, so we'll be underway for most of the day.  But, we have a movie rented and downloaded on iTunes for this evening, a nice bottle of wine that was gifted to Riley as a thank you for helping out a fellow cruiser, and one truffle each left over from a box of chocolates that we bought on Monday (talk about self control!  Of course, I won't mention the fact that we ate the other seven truffles on that same Monday…).  So we'll have a nice evening, and we'll be sweeter to each other today just because it's Valentine's Day, of course.  Funny how that works.



Are you celebrating Valentine's Day?  What kind of things do you do to make holidays, or really any old days, feel special?


14 comments:

  1. I was just telling my husband the other night that dates are so hard when you live together... You get ready around that person, you don't have someone coming to your door to kiss you goodnight, etc. I love our date nights, but they are radically different than a date! I love how simple Riley made it, by declaring it something, it made it special. So perfect... :) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riley really has perfected the art of the simple, but special date. :) It's my favorite kind now! Especially, like you said, since dates are so different when you see each other all the time anyway!

      Delete
  2. You are so cute! And kudos to saving those truffles. I couldn't do it! Sounds like the perfect Valentine's celebration to me! Wine, chocolate, a movie and the open sea - what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well, it sounds like it should have been a more difficult task, but I had been so bad about eating chocolate and sugar lately, my body knew it needed a break anyway! And I have a pretty high tolerance usually! ;)

      Delete
  3. This year is our first Valentine's Day, my boyfriend and I. I think I am feeling this pressure to make it extra special, and it doesn't seem to be going as planned since we just found out we won't be together until tomorrow night. But its nice to remember that we have many more to come, and at some point we will have to remind each other to make it special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I can understand the pressure to try to make the first one extra special! I certainly felt the same way! But whether you go all out or keep things simple, there's always something special about just spending the time together celebrating. :)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like the perfect Valentine's day to me, and your date sounds like it was wonderful too. Tyson is a Sous Chef so he will be working tonight, the day was really about Little K anyway. She loved all her Valentine's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of declaring any given moment a celebration - that's exactly how God intended it, I think. :) Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. :) I need to remember to be better about that, even when there's not a holiday to celebrate.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. happy valentines day in florida! beautiful photos and blog...just found you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love these pictures, gorgeous water!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about making something special just by designating it as so. That's honestly how many of our "dates" are. But I like it! I like the heart in the sand. The things our boys do for us, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like the perfect spot for a date. I love the simple moments, curled on the couch, with takeout and champagne, with a movie on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I love this, I hope your Valentines was great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...