Feb 25, 2014

time travel on cumberland island


While we were in Vero Beach, we swapped tales with some of the other cruisers there, and that's how we knew that we definitely needed to make a stop at Cumberland Island in Georgia.  "The only other island that rivals it on the East Coast is maybe Martha's Vineyard," they said.  "It's like going back in time."  We were sold.

Cumberland Island is a National Seashore, so there is really nothing there.  Well, nothing manmade anyway (aside from maybe a ranger's station and a few houses and ruins).  But there is plenty to see.  We brought Gidget, a few snacks (and Riley wore a fanny pack!), and the camera and made a day of wandering around the island.  The path from the dinghy dock first led us to a beautiful maritime forest... 


and then to the ruins of a Carnegie mansion…


and then to a field of grazing wild horses…


and then to a saltwater marsh…


and then to whatever you call this kind of landscape that reminds me of The Lion King...


and then to the most gigantic sand dunes ever seen by dog and man…


and then to a nearly deserted beach with the finest, softest, most incredible sand on the entire planet…


and back again.


I don't think I have ever seen so many different landscapes in the course of just a few hours.  And each one was just as beautiful and amazing as the last.  Until the ferry arrived at 12:30, we pretty much had the place to ourselves, but even after, it was the most serene, untouched place I've ever visited.  And definitely one of my favorites.  I would highly recommend a visit if you ever get the chance!


(A word of warning though, if you do, you very well may get the song "Wild Horses" stuck in your head for the rest of the day.  We're still singing it.  It might not be so bad if we knew more than just the two lines...)


14 comments:

  1. Oh sweet baby Jesus! What beautiful sights!!!! Adding it to my bucket list right now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I NEED to see that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! And, it is the elephant graveyard - I see it I see it! Can you go inside the ruins? Those are pretty neat looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the carnegie mansion fascinated me so much that i just had to go on and look it up! fascinating. burned during the Civil War - so, so so cool. never knew this existed until now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you looked it up! Visiting places like this always makes me so curious about their history. I had never even heard about until just a few weeks ago either.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow this looks amazing!! I bet Gidget is loving this adventure! My dogs would love to spend 24/7 with us and exploring new places for 6 months haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruins and horses and beaches and spanish moss and... holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! At every turn it just kept on bringing the amazing! I loved it. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the increased emphasis on the word "then." well played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too redundant? I don't know, I still can't decide.

      Delete
  8. WOOOOOOOW! Looks like an enchanted place-glad you got to go. Gidget looks very happy to be going down that dune with her daddy! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across your blog while browsing Google Images for Cumberland Island. Your comment about the Lion King environment made me laugh, as I had a very similar thought when we encountered the same place. My wife recently just posted a blog post of our visit to the island, which contains a shot I got from the same area that I was pretty happy with: http://notjustabroad.com/cumberland-island/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy,
      I'm so glad that you stopped by! I just checked out your wife's blog and love the shots you got of the island. I'm so glad that you enjoyed checking out this amazing place as much as we did!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...