Mar 25, 2014

girl's best friends


One of the inevitable consequences of living every moment of life for five months straight in the confines of a small boat with just a husband and a dog, is the formation of unusually tight bonds.  Really, it's a blessing that we all came back loving each other more instead of loathing the sight of one another.  Really.  I'm pretty grateful for that.  Now that we're back on land, Riley and I can go our separate ways to do whatever it is we need to do, but it's still "normal" for us to have conversations, like last nights, that go something like this:

"Do you.."
"Yeah."
"Ok."

Women always seem to complain that their significant others can't read their minds.  Well, mine can.  Yes, it is just as helpful and as scary as you might imagine.

But as far as Gidget is concerned, I have become a Crazy Dog Lady.  This isn't the same as a Crazy Cat Lady who hoards as many felines as she can get her hands on.  My brand of craziness is more along the lines of being completely in tune and hyper sensitive to an individual dog's wants, needs, pains… etc.

So, needless to say, when Gidget started having seizures, I fell to pieces.  She had a really bad one last Friday that left me a sloppy, soggy, puffy mess for the rest of the day.  When I finally pulled myself together enough to drive to the vet for some Valium (for her, not for me… although it was tempting), it only took the back to back combination of BeyoncĂ©'s "Halo" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" to open the floodgates again.  Of course, now that I think about it, I was listening to The Best Hits of the Eighties, Nineties, and Today, so I really was kind of asking for it.

Anyway, right now we're in the process of vet visits and bloodwork and tests to try to figure out what exactly is causing her seizures and how we can treat them.  So if you happen to have a spare thought or prayer for a pup and her girl, they'd be so much appreciated.  And maybe one for the poor fellow who is so tightly bonded to the emotional and physically unstable pair, I think he'd appreciate it as well.

24 comments:

  1. Awww! Poor lil gidget! ya know, our pets are just like kids... so it's natural to have those emotions when something is wrong. I am the same way! I will be thinking of you both! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! :( I hope that they are able to help figure things out quickly! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for sweet Gidget!! (and you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Gidget is going through this right now. Big prayers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry...I'm a crazy dog person too! When she hurts I hurt here's hoping you find a reason and a cure or treatment. Praying for you and Gidget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, it's so hard to see them in pain and not be able to do anything about it. I'm hopeful that one of these tests will give us some answers soon.

      Delete
    2. I keep checking everyday to see how you and Gidget are doing need an update on that precious pup!

      Delete
    3. Aw, thanks. :) So far, all of her test results have come back normal. The vet wants to diagnosis her with epilepsy by process of elimination. So it looks like the next step will be putting her on some anti-seizure medication. She's been doing pretty well in the meantime though! Thanks for asking! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! It's really good Gidget didn't start doing that on the boat! Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots and lots of prayers to Gidget!!! I hope she gets better ASAP! If there is a silver lining to this, I think that it at least happened on land where you can get medicine and not in the middle of the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Poor Gidget!! I'm keeping her and your little family in my thoughts and wish Gidget a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your note on Instagram, too, and this is just too sad. Poor little thing! I hope you get it figured out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of positives thoughts sent your way! I'm right there with you on the crazy pet lady thing with both our cat and dog. I just know when something is wrong and I fall to pieces when I can't make it better or figure it out. I hope you find some answers for Gidget and that things get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh lord, I can't imagine anything worse right now. I don't have children (yet), so my pups are my babies. I'm thinking about you and little Gidget and sending lots of good juju. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, she's definitely my baby, too. I can only imagine the wreck I'd be with human children. :)

      Delete
  12. Poor little Gidget. Although it pales in comparison, my dog Stuart recently hurt himself (well, his tail, to be specific) on a strenuous hike. I couldn't stop giving him scoops peanut butter out of pity. Best wishes to you and Gidget for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Gidget! Lots of well wishes and prayers to her and to you and to Riley. One of my cats has seizures on occasion and it just breaks my heart to see her go through that each time it happens. :(

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry that it happens to your cat, too! It's such an awful thing to witness happening to someone we love.

      Delete
  14. Poor Gidget. :( Give him hugs and kisses from me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Gidget! I will definitely say some prayers for you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...