Mar 7, 2014

nostalgic for north carolina


Out of all the places that we have visited over the course of the last several months, North Carolina was probably the hardest to say good bye to.  I have to admit, I wasn't super excited about sailing down it's coast.  I just kinda figured that since it's so close to home in Virginia I'd want to hurry up and get through it so we could move onto something more interesting.  But boy, was I wrong!  I loved North Carolina!  Not only is it special because it was the starting and ending point of our adventure, but I also genuinely enjoyed visiting some of it's charming coastal towns.



New Bern

We had our boat in New Bern for about 3 months before we left on our trip.  Now, that's not a very long time, but it doesn't take long to fall in love with the place.  It is a picture perfect small town and I am so looking forward to the day that we return our boat to the marina there.  I actually missed New Bern while we were gone.  Granted, none of our friends or family live there, but the place had begun to feel like a second home.



Beaufort

Beaufort was our first real stop on the trip.  We had only been gone for three days, but it felt like a lot longer, and it was our first encounter with any real civilization since we left.  I was pleasantly surprised at how convenient it was to get to the dinghy docks, since this was our first time doing so and I had feared that it would be kind of a tricky thing.  Beaufort was a great introduction to the cruising lifestyle. We met a few friendly cruisers during our short time there who passed on their wisdom and also had a good chuckle about our green-ness.  "Oh, they have so much to learn, " they said.  They were right.



Southport
In case it wasn't clear from this post, I loved Southport.  Of course, I'm sure a lot of it had to do with all of the movies and t.v. shows that have been filmed there.  But still, it just has this kind of weathered coastal charm to it.  I'm glad we got a chance to stop by on our way south, because the place was already starting to close up for the season, and by the time we passed back through last week, it was pretty much dead.  It was still good to see it again, though.  I mean, when I wasn't lying on the side of the dock in pain, or beating through the waves, that is.



Wrightsville and Carolina Beach

Wrightsville was an exciting stop for us because it was the first real beach that we saw.  It was cold at the time, of course, but there's something about the beach that is so energizing.  We also had the opportunity to meet up with some friends and have them join us on our short sail to Carolina Beach, which was our first, and very welcome stop at a marina.



I mentioned in my last post that I was disappointed that we didn't get to return to New Bern at the end of our trip, but now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm actually excited about the possibilities that it opens up.  Riley and I would really love to return to the boat as soon as it warms up a little and explore the Southport and maybe Wilmington areas a little bit more.  We also never really got a chance to explore the water around New Bern very much, because we were always working on the boat to get it ready.  So having the opportunity to sail back there in nicer weather will really give us the chance to do that.



Are there any other areas in North Carolina that you love and would recommend for exploration?

7 comments:

  1. Exploring New Bern and Wilmington when it warms up are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a North Carolina native I think that there are tons of places to explore! I love all the towns you mentioned, especially Beaufort. My siblings live in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach so I think going back there when it get warmer is a great idea! After all, a ton of great shows (aka Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill) were filmed throughout downtown Wilmington so you might enjoy exploring there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think New Bern is so cute! I love the small coastal town with so much charm. Being able to go back and explore will be great incentive to get the boat back to the slip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being from Virginia too I forget about North Carolina! It looks beautiful though! I must add these places to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to any of the coastal areas in NC but I hope to start visiting more over the summer. I live in VA so it's not that far of a drive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not so far, is it? I hope you get to do some exploring this summer!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...