Mar 5, 2014

sailing through south carolina


Because the weather turned cold on us, Riley and I didn't spend much time exploring South Carolina on the way home.  We did, however, enjoy the views of the swamps, especially as the steam rolled off of the water and through the trees.  It was really kind of an eerie beauty.

The cities that we did visit in South Carolina were not only beautiful, but also so interesting and rich with history...

Georgetown
Georgetown never really got it's own post the first time around, it only got a brief mention in this post.  We did make a point of stopping in again one night on our way home, just so that we could pick up a delicious loaf of bread from the Kudzu Bakery!


Charleston
Visiting Charleston by sailboat wasn't the greatest experience for us, so we didn't make a second visit on the return trip, but I probably would return by car to take in it's beautiful architecture and fantastic restaurants.


Beaufort
My favorite memory of Beaufort is walking down the street, admiring the way the setting sun hit the spanish moss draped over the tree branches that framed our little boat out in the anchorage.  I also loved the waterfront walkway lined with restaurants and coffee shops.  Beaufort is another place that I wouldn't mind visiting again!



I'd really be interested in making a trip to South Carolina by car and being able to explore it's cities more thoroughly.  Do you have any favorites that we missed this time around?




11 comments:

  1. Definitely give Charleston a second try! I love it there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I'll be back some day! I'm sure it would be fun as a girls trip. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jessica and would also suggest Beaufort. I'm a little partial as I have lived in both, but they are such quaint towns. If you ever head back to Beaufort, try the Southern Graces Bistro. It won't disappoint!

    Caitlin C
    withpearlsandastethoscope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture is hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I can't wait to visit the Carolinas one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to do more exploring of my own coast too, someday I'm going to get to Georgetown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Beaufort in the Fall around October, or November for a day trip. It had such idyllic homes and restaurants along the water. My hubby and I enjoy visiting coastal towns and trying their local seafood. At that time we were staying at a beach condo in Topsail. I hear Bald Head Island and the Crystal coast with the wild horses is supposed to be breathtaking. It would be awesome to do it by boat, sounds like such an adventure!

    Oh, I found that post... http://kikinakita.blogspot.com/2013/11/beaufort-north-carolina.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, local seafood!
      I would love to check out Bald Head Island. As a matter of fact, the marina where we are keeping our boat now is right near the ferry for Bald Head Island. So we just might get our chance!

      Thanks for the link. I'll have to go check out your post!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures! And yes, I agree- give Charleston another try, maybe in the Summer. I was there years ago in the summertime (I like hot weather though too) and loved it. Very cute, quaint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been through North Carolina, but not South Carolina. It's on my list of places to visit one day, though. The first picture in this post is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first picture is gorgeous! One to hang on the wall for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...