Apr 3, 2014

here's to (belated) new year's resolutions


Now that Riley and I are living in the city, I get a kick out of saying, "oh, we're spending the weekend in the country…" or something of that nature.  It makes visiting family sound like even more of a luxury than it already is.  Wandering around my parents' place the other day, I got to fully appreciate the signs of spring and the beautiful weather that accompanies it.  It got me thinking about New Year's resolutions.

I kind of missed the boat (ha!) on that front this year, mainly because we spent New Year's just trying to survive Key West.  In all honesty, I intentionally gave myself a pass on making any resolutions anyway.  Living on a boat seemed like a pretty good excuse.  I wasn't going to commit to a new exercise routine, because when I wasn't walking two miles to the grocery store and back, I really was quite content to… sit around.  I wasn't going to commit to healthier eating, because really, we were just going to eat whatever was easy to come by and even easier to prepare.  I wasn't going to start new hobbies, or save more money, I was just going to simply do the best with what I had to work with.  I suppose the closest I came to making a resolution on New Year's was to attempt to do something new everyday.  And given our situation, I think I did a pretty good job with that one.

In anticipation of moving back on land however, I did start to make myself a list of future resolutions.  You know, it's kind of like the dieter that says, "I'll start my diet after Thanksgiving. And Christmas. And New Year's."  My intentions were purely good, though.  Well, they were going to be, anyway.

So, now that we're somewhat settled, it's spring, the flowers are blooming, and the air is fresh, and it seems like a pretty good time to dust off those New Year's resolutions.  Nothing too dramatic, of course, I really just want to focus on intentional living.  I want to make conscious choices about the foods we're eating, the exercise I'm getting, and the activities I'm spending my time and money on.  I want to find new and exciting experiences right outside my own door. 

lastly, this.  Just because I think it's hilarious.  You get 'im girl.

If our experience on the boat had to come to an end, at least we timed it pretty well.  There is nothing quite like the transition into spring to lift sprits, renew hope, and inspire change.  It's the perfect time for a fresh start.  In our case, quite literally.  Does it feel that way for you too, though?  How are your New Year's resolutions going, anyway?  Do they need to be dusted off?  What are the things that you want to focus on this Spring?  Or this year?  I'd love to hear and be inspired by some of your own resolutions!



(Also, by the way, Riley thanks you for all of the birthday wishes!  And as far as Gidget is concerned, it looks like we may be starting her on some anti-seizure medication.  She was kind of diagnosed with epilepsy by process of elimination.  Thank you again for all of your sweet words and prayers!)

11 comments:

  1. April resolutions - that could definitely be a thing...? Maybe? ;) I'm so glad to hear about Gidget, too. Poor little thing. Happy city living, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that look on the big dogs face! "really?!" ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That face hahah!

    Mine are doing ooookay but they could use a bit of freshening up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Gidget! Get em! Glad they have her on meds to help. I am resolving to clean out my house and get rid of a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally think you can make resolutions whenever you want! I'm anti-New Year's resolutions, actually, but good at setting them any other time of year. :) I was wondering how Gidget is doing. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that answers are coming together for little Gidget. I'm not a resolution-maker but I do love your comment about 'intentional living' - recently for me this has been meal and exercise planning. I already do fairly well at eating right and burning calories but scrambling to put something together with what's in the fridge or running late for spin class can easily be avoided. That's the goal anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the giggle this morning. It's just what I needed to get me through these last few hours at work! Oh how I miss that precious face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I don't make traditional resolutions anymore. I do a list of goals to work on through out the year instead. Resolutions have too much of a pass/fail vibe, and I think that's why people get so frustrated with them. Goals are way more approachable, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've inspired me to get outside and get rid of some of those fall leaves today! And by the way, I think Trigger is looking back at Giggles and saying, "Come on, jump like this, it's fun!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing pictures, I can't get over the fact how stunning you are :) If i could choose a name instead of Melissa i would choose Eliza or Allison :D love your name

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Gidget! I hope the meds work for her! I know exactly what you mean with a fresh start for spring. I feel like my new years resolution of excercising never live through the winter months. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...