Apr 7, 2014

thanksgiving is always a good idea


Since we were just talking about New Year's the other day, it's only fitting that we talk about Thanksgiving today… right?

Riley and I actually had a pretty good Thanksgiving on the boat last fall, but it still wasn't quite the same not being able to celebrate with our families.  In fact, the first thing that I did when I pulled my pathetic, burnt pumpkin pie out of our tiny boat oven on that Thanksgiving day was text my mom and sister, "can we have Thanksgiving dinner when we get back?"  Their answer was a resounding "yes!"


We had a few family birthdays to celebrate first, but fortunately we were able to squeeze in a little Thanksgiving celebration before Easter.  There's just something about all of the cooking, the time spent around the table together, talking and eating comfort food, that even the best case scenario boat Thanksgiving just couldn't live up to.  

In the spirit of the pretend season, I asked everyone what they have to be thankful for since (the real) Thanksgiving Day passed.  My favorite part?  How quickly everyone was able to think of their answer.  It is truly amazing how much we have to be thankful for. 

I am so thankful for the opportunity to have the sailing adventure that we did, that we returned home in one piece, that we were able to find a place to live that we love so quickly, and for the good job that Riley had to return home to.  I am thankful for time spent with family, celebrating holidays, no matter how belated they may be.

What about you?  What do you have to be thankful for since Thanksgiving?

12 comments:

  1. That is so cool you just had your Thanksgiving! Since getting married one of the hardest parts has been not always being at home for the Thanksgiving I'm used to at my parents so I totally understand you having Thanksgiving in April :) And I CAN'T believe you were living on a sailboat - for how long?! What a cool adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! It's like holiday catch up, and the side benefit is yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for belated Thanksgiving! I was actually looking for pumpkin puree the other day for a recipe, and was thankful that the grocery store still carries that stuff during months other than November! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so in love with this post! It's so unique that you guys celebrated Thanksgiving again once you were able to with your family. The food is making my mouth water! I'm thankful for God providing over and over and over for me. He is so faithful even when I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I go running, I think, "I'm so thankful to be able to run." There are so many people who can't, and it's something I try not to take for granted! I'm also thankful for family to spend holidays with! I love Thanksgiving as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thanksgiving and the excuse it brings to hang out with family! :) Glad you guys got a second one!

    I'm definitely thankful that I can run because it teaches me a lot and gives me peace - even when I can't breath :P. I'm also thankful for the people in my life - they never fail to support me and make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanksgiving in April sounds awesome. I am thankful for my family so any time I get to spend with them is a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool! I'm glad that you celebrated Thanksgiving after you got back. :) Since Thanksgiving I have been grateful for a fun vacation with my niece and nephew, and lots of other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so I'm currently doing a juice cleanse, SHOULD NOT have looked at this post! haha. Glad you got to re-celebrate Turkey day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanksgiving is awesome - any time of year! I'm glad you got to celebrate it with your family.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm how awesome it would be if I had a glass of wine and a slice of pumpkin pie right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh Thanksgiving dinner looks so good now that I've seen your post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...