May 28, 2014

strawberry jammin' with bob marley

A few weeks ago, on a trip to North Carolina, my mom, sister and I had the chance to pick some of the most beautiful strawberries.  Our intention was to make a large batch of strawberry freezer jam, as has been the tradition this time of year for as long as I can remember.  There are quite a few reasons why making strawberry freezer jam is an excellent tradition to keep.  

1. It tastes amazing.
2. It's easy. (Although, I have to confess that this is in fact the only jam I have ever made, so I don't have anything to compare it to.)
3. It's a good excuse to get together.

And, as we discovered this year:
4. It's the perfect opportunity for a Bob Marley dance party.


"Now, what does Bob Marley have to do with strawberry jam?" you might ask.  Well, during this particular freezer jam making session, one of us (it was me) started singing, "We're jammin', jammin''" over and over again in possibly the worst Bob Marley impersonation ever.  Fortunately my Dad, the infamous DJ, dug out his Bob Marley CD so we could finally hear some more of the lyrics to the song.  You can imagine our excitement when we heard:

We're jammin' -
To think that jammin' was a thing of the past;
We're jammin',
And I hope this jam is gonna last.

Now, if that's not the perfect jam making song, I don't know what is!  Isn't everything just a little more fun when you find the perfect soundtrack?  I can't say it didn't slow down the process a little though, with all that dancing around.


So, if you find yourself with a bunch of fresh strawberries this season, grab some helpers, this freezer jam recipe (it is the recipe, tried and true!), and some Bob Marley tunes, and you'll be jammin' too!


And if you need some more ideas for fresh strawberries, check out this post from last year.

10 comments:

  1. Whoa, I didn't know making jam could be that simple. I've always been so intimidated by it! But maybe I will give your recipe a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yummy yum! that's just so funny, i can totally imagine y'all dancing around while singing and making jam. i want to make some this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Nothing beats fresh strawberry jam. I grew up in Florida and have such an amazing memory of picking berries with my family and my aunt making up jars of fresh jam. Sounds like you all had a fabulous experience too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to find the time to get over to the strawberry picking, not even sure if the field is still open! This whole working thing really puts a cramp in my style sometimes. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have been loads of fun to go strawberry picking together. I love straberries, going to get a new batch on the market saturday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good time! And it's always good to go with people that are going to keep me motivated when it starts getting hot, haha. Enjoy your strawberries!

      Delete
  6. Delish! Nothing says "I'm American" more than making jam!!!!! Def going to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm! I just recently made some strawberry jam toO! We be jammin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making jam is on my list of things to do this summer. Strawberry and watermelon is on the top of the list. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...