Sep 9, 2014

one dress… two ways


Ever since we returned from our sailing trip, I've been getting rid of clothes left and right.  We brought so few with us for those five months that I got used to wearing the same thing over and over.  When I returned and unpacked those boxes of clothes that I had kept in storage, it just felt like so much.  I got rid of about half of it right away, and I've been slowly culling through the rest of it ever since.  I've found that I really don't need a lot of clothes, but I do need a few that I really love.  Because, I honestly do like clothes, getting dressed, and pretty things in general.  And I don't think that's a bad thing, as long as I keep it in check.  This red dress is once of those things that I really, truly love.  However, in the past few years that I've had it, I had only worn it a handful of times.  I realized that if it was going to be taking up precious space in my tiny closet, I needed to find a way to make it a little more casual for everyday wear.  The perfect opportunity arrived on my birthday.  I mean, if a fun, red dress doesn't say "Birthday Dress," I don't know what does.  (This is probably due to my love of Wee Sing videos as a child and my infatuation with Sally's flouncy red birthday dress.  Please tell me you know what I'm talking about!)

dress: Anthropologie vest: Levi's purse: J.Crew shoes: Converse necklace: The Bauble Dept.

During the day I needed something comfortable, appropriate for walking around the city and meeting my sister for breakfast.  So I layered the dress with my trusty denim vest (still getting a ton of wear out of this thing!), threw on a brown leather cross body purse, and laced up my chucks.  A pony tail and one of my favorite necklaces finished it off.  All in all, it wound up being a little patriotic, but I felt comfortable and cute all day long.

shoes: Cole Haan clutch: Anthropologie necklace: The Bauble Dept.

In the evening, Riley and I planned to try out a new (to us) restaurant for a nice dinner.  All I had to do was smooth out the ponytail wrinkles in my hair, ditch the vest, swap my chucks for heels and my cross body for a clutch (and change necklaces just for the fun of it) and I was ready in a flash.  For the record, I highly recommend Blue Apron Restaurant if you live in the area.  The entire meal was delicious, the presentation was beautiful, and the atmosphere was just what I was looking for.

I had so much fun with this little experiment and am excited to try to find new ways to wear some of my other favorites in my closet.  Are you good at mixing and matching your clothes and dressing them up and down?  I'm not the best at accessorizing, so I could use some tips if you have any to share!

4 comments:

  1. Yep. That dress is fabulous.

    And GIRL! I have not seen your new haircut yet. It's amazing! I'm loving the length and those bangs. On point, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this, too! It's so much easier to get dressed when you have a smaller wardrobe of stuff that can mix-and-match. Mine has gotten a little off-track lately, but I just did another purge and now I feel better. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that dress is just perfect!!! I want it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...