Sep 26, 2014

pear gruyère pie... à la pushing daisies


Life lately seems to be revolving in an endless cycle of… pie.  Terrible, right?  It all started when this adorable little shop selling mini pies opened up in Roanoke.  I caught wind of it several weeks before it opened and the anticipation was so intense that all I could think about was pie.  All of this thinking about eating pie then got me thinking about that show Pushing Daisies (Ned owns a pie shop called The Pie Hole), and all of the watching shows about pie got me thinking about eating pie… and so on and so forth.  In one episode of the show, a pear gruyère pie is mentioned, and I couldn't get the combination out of my mind.  The pie addiction didn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?  Also, the more the merrier. And so, that is how my sister and I found ourselves baking a pear gruyère pie on the first day of fall.  I smell a new tradition baking…


All I had to do was google "Pushing Daisies Pear Gruyère Pie," and all sorts of delicious goodness appeared.  Most posts seemed to all link back to one original recipe, so that's what I used for my own pie.


Now, I'm not really a pie maker, and when I am I usually cheat with Pillsbury crusts, so I think mine wound up a little too thick. Other changes I would make would be chopping the pears just a little smaller and poaching them for maybe a bit longer.  Also, we used 1/2 stick less butter in the crust, and it was till a ton! All in all, it was a really interesting combination of savory crust and sweet filling. And it definitely disappeared quickly. Personally, I found it was best served for breakfast on the patio, accompanied by a hot cup of black coffee and a cool  autumn morning breeze.


I'm thinking that an apple/cheese combination might be fun to try next.  Have you ever made any unusual pie combinations before?  What's your favorite?  (Also… any other Pushing Daisies fans out there?)

You can find the pear gruyère pie recipe I used here, and try it for yourself!

Today I'm linking up with Samantha and Christina and I highly recommend checking out their blogs for some more delicious pear recipe inspiration!


18 comments:

  1. That pie looks divine!!! Can you send it my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is right up my alley! Nigella has a delicious recipe for warm pears in marsala, with blue cheese and pecans roasted in honey :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! Oh yum, that does sound good!

      Delete
  3. Yum! This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the fun linkup, too!

      Delete
  4. I feel like such a bad cook...I don't even know what gruyere is. But, that pie looks AMAZING! On my to-do list someday is make a pie 100% from scratch - it tastes so much better, but I always use time as an excuse and just use a pre-made crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pie looks super yummy!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALLISON! I'm so so glad you linked up! This looks amazing! Like falling out of my chair amazing! I'm always so impressed with people who can make pie and yours looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust! MMMMMMMmmm! This would prob be nice with a glass of wine! Esp a Sauvignon Blanc..MMMM.. Your poor wine-a-holic sis-in-law! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you made one before? At least I know who to come to for a good recommendation! ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm a Pushing Daisies fan! My friend and I used to make pies and watch that together. It was such a weird but fun show. Your pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh! That looks delicious! Why can't I be closer and get to benefit from your and Eva's baking adventures?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled across your blog. Love it! You take beautiful pictures. And that pie looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...