Oct 17, 2014

the grand tour of our downtown apartment


Finally, as promised, a tour of our downtown apartment! Two weeks of nearly non-stop gray skies and torrential downpours delayed things a bit because I needed as much natural light as I could get to try to photograph our little space. Tight corners and awkward lighting situations made it difficult enough already!

So this apartment really is a dream come true. I always had this idea in the back of my mind of how much fun it would be to live in a downtown apartment full of charm and within walking distance to the hustle and bustle of some city center. However, I married a country boy and was pretty certain that exact scenario wasn't in my future. Flash forward six years, and after living in the country and then on a boat, a downtown apartment happened to be the perfect temporary living situation while we figure out our next step. My dream checklist included things like a brick wall, spiral staircase, a rooftop patio, and great views. Check, check, check and check. Fortunately, I've never craved a large living space (if you couldn't tell from our previous living situation), because that wouldn't have made the budget cut anyway. Since this living situation is temporary, we didn't invest anything in terms of redecorating (aside from a few plants and pillows), and instead used the furniture and accessories that we already owned. Sometimes that worked out surprising well, and other times it made for a bit of a tight squeeze. But all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how we were able to make our old stuff feel new again in this space.  

So, without further ado, the grand tour:


The apartment enters to the kitchen, a small but functional u-shaped space. My favorite feature is the concrete counter top. My least favorite, the track lighting. The bar area is another plus since we don't have the floorspace for a proper table.


As soon as I walked into the living room for the first time, I couldn't wait to throw my cowhide rug down on that beautiful floor in front of the brick wall. I have a long list of favorites in this room, including that pine wall that conceals a door to a half bath, a window with a view of downtown, and Riley's clever custom built solution to our bulky tv stand/bike storage problem. Oh, and that spiral staircase, too, of course.  


I really feel like we hit the jackpot in this loft space. Four large windows with an excellent view of downtown with a perfect desk nook, a master bath, a small closet for a washer and dryer, and most importantly, access to our very own patio.


I feel so very grateful to have been able to experience life in a downtown apartment. Not only has it been a dream come true, but instead of mourning the ending of our sailing trip, we were able to see it as an entirely new adventure. I've tried my best to soak up every minute of it and will continue to do so in these last few months!

16 comments:

  1. Great tour! Living each day absorbing it all in before you move again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's definitely my goal! :)

      Delete
  2. Swooning over the staircase and I love that you can go outside through the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, me too. It's funny, as a kid I remember touring a house that had a step up to an outdoor patio from the master bedroom and I thought it was just the coolest thing!

      Delete
  3. Wow what a great apartment!!! I love all the little features and the brick wall and staircase! I bet that patio is SO nice in this fall weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw! You've really dressed up some things since I last saw it!!!! Looks so great! You make me want pretty pillows for our bed....but I never make it up so it wouldn't really make a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. For whatever reason, making the bed is the chore that I am absolutely the most diligent about. It just makes such a difference to me!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh your apartment is awesome! It's so cool you got all the things you wanted. That patio is amazing. You totally hit the jackpot for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh love the owl and the pup photo bomb!! It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apartment is beautiful! I love the brick wall and the spiral staircase!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just love the exposed brick!!! Ahhh. Everything is so amazing, and now I wish I lived in a downtown apartment. :) That rooftop patio is calling my name!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! What an absolutely adorable apartment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous space!!! I love the bicycle under the TV and Gigdet looks really at home on that spiral staircase LOL My dog would be freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful staircase! The lounge room is absolutely perfect as well. I absolutely adore your apartment, Allison. The brick walls are lovely, and you don't get to see that kind of wall anymore. You're very lucky to have such an amazing place. Thanks for making us jealous! Hahaha! All the best to you! :)

    Benny Daniel @ Finlay Brewer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...