Dec 9, 2014

the renovation: the "before" pictures


When Riley and I started our house hunt, there were a few very important items on our list of requirements. At the top of Riley's list was a nice parcel of land in a convenient location. At the top of my list was an older home, preferably Craftsman style, with lots of character. We knew that a fixer upper was going to be our best bet both in terms of budget and opportunity to customize it to our exact wants and needs. As soon as we walked into this house for the first time, we both knew it was the one.   In fact, it was the first, and one of only three, that we even looked at. It had land for Riley, and all sorts of character for me. Mostly, it just felt like a home. Some of you may think we're crazy when you see these before pictures, but all we see is potential.

The house was built in 1910, was probably last updated in the 1960's and has sat vacant for nearly two years. It needs some major TLC. But any "improvements" that the previous owner made to the home, they made with respect to the home's integrity, and elements like the trim work and hardwood floors are mostly in excellent condition.

Without further ado, the grand "before" tour of our fixer upper:

The foyer, with it's view of the double sided staircase, is one of my favorite parts of the house.

We see this as a potential office space or spare room.

The dining room.

A small but charming kitchen.

The breakfast nook.

A mudroom and laundry space off of the kitchen that showcases the original wood siding (which we hope is in good condition underneath the current aluminum siding…).

Hallway off of the kitchen, and oddly enough, another favorite space of mine (I think it's the door).

The one and only bathroom.

This space is still up in the air.  An eventual den, perhaps?

The living room.

The staircase, another favorite.

And lastly, three small upstairs bedrooms.


As you can see, we definitely have our work cut out for us.  But it's a project that we are very excited about and it's going to be such a labor of love.  We're just a week into the renovations, and it is already looking dramatically different, so I'll be posting about some of our progress soon!


18 comments:

  1. I can't wait to keep up with the renovations of the house! My parents restored old homes when I was a child and I am so envious of them now. Y'all are going to have so much fun :) It is so charming, quaint, and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they did that! I bet they saw and learned a lot! I wonder if I'd get too attached to a house to sell it though, after putting so much work into it. :) Thank you! So far we're really enjoying the process.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness!! I LOVE the potential in this house. I cannot wait to see everything you all do to it. It's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your new place screams charm and potential!!!! congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how you transform this place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're pretty excited about the whole process and can't wait to share it!

      Delete
  5. This place has some great bones and I cannot wait to see what you do to it!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your place looks amazing! Good luck with the renovations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous! A little rough but gorgeous. Apart from the one bathroom ha, two thumbs up. It'll be a great project to make it yours. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This place has so much charm! I can't wait to see what you guys do to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah the double sided staircase is awesome!!! I can't wait to see what you do to it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. a lot of work, but the bones are so good! loving the built-ins and the doorway arches. your renovations will be my HGTV substitute for the next few months, since I can't get that in Taiwan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I know what you mean about HGTV! We've just had cable for the first time since living in this apartment and have watched more than our fair share of the channel. It's provided plenty of inspiration! ;)

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to see what you do with the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl you know I love that hallway too....now to just find you the proper bells like DA.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! ;) Except now that I think about it, I'm probably the one that someone would be ringing the bell for, so I'm not so sure what a great idea it is after all...

      Delete
  13. Aaaaaah! My gut reaction was, "YES! It needs SO MUCH WORK!" You're going to have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like the perfect little home! It's going to be so much fun to watch you guys renovate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...