Jan 15, 2015

"stay healthy" potato soup


It's that time of year when all of our immune systems could use a little extra boost, am I right? Growing up, my mom used to make this potato soup pretty regularly in the winter time, and it kind of became known as the "don't get sick soup." The main reason being, it has enough garlic in it to scare away a cold, or at the very least to give you bad enough garlic breath to scare away any other people and their germs. Either way would be pretty effective!  It doesn't have a ton of dairy in it either, which is  nice if you're trying to avoid congestion.  

My mom, sister and I got together the other week to make a big batch of this soup, and as I was trying to keep track of measurements as we made it, it became clear that this is the kind of soup that you just make up as you go. A few more potatoes here, a few less cloves of garlic there… you really can't mess it up. The only thing I would caution you about is using a light hand with the cayenne pepper. The garlic already gives the soup a nice kick, and it's easy to make it a little too spicy.




"Stay Healthy" Potato Soup
makes somewhere around 6-8 (10?) servings

Ingredients
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 cups of celery, diced
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons of thyme
12 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
black pepper (to taste)
5 lb. yukon gold potatoes (you can sub in some russet if you prefer), peeled and diced
49.5 oz. chicken broth
1 cup water
1 can of corn
1/2 cup of cream (we used half and half)

Directions
1. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and celery in the olive oil for a few minutes, then add the garlic, thyme, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
2. Add the potatoes and stir well to coat.
3. Add the chicken broth and water, making sure that you have enough liquid to cover the potatoes.
4. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low heat.  Cook until the potatoes are soft, for about a half an hour.
5. When the potatoes are soft, mash some of them with a fork or potato masher.
6. Stir in the corn and cream and remove from heat.
7. Enjoy!  And then you should probably brush your teeth.  Unless of course, you are planning to use your garlic breath as a preventative measure.


Do you have any family favorite recipes that you always make during cold season?

Stay healthy!


10 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I will be trying this soon 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of soups (also because it mostly doesn't leave you with a lot of dishes), had a big bowl of lentil soup yesterday. I've had potato soup before, but never with the addition of corn. Definitely something I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, any meal that saves on dishes is good in my book! I haven't made lentil soup in awhile, I'll have to add that to my menu soon! In this soup, I think the addition of corn gives it a really nice different texture and just a little bit of sweetness.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a. Ally interesting combination of flavours - and great comfort food for lazy winter days. I might give it a go next week :)

    Also, a bit late but I was only catching up with my blog reads in the past weeks, congrats on your pregnancy :) all the best for this exciting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lauren would like this-- he loves corn chowder and this is basically that right?? I try to only add a little half and half at the end too, but I always think of how yummy lots of heavy cream would be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe? I always think of chowders as pretty creamy, but I could be wrong. Of course, lots of cream will always taste better! But I try to restrain myself. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...