Jan 20, 2015

the renovation: kitchen design inspiration



When we started thinking about the design scheme for our house, which colors and which materials we would like to use, there were a few key themes that stood out to us.  First of all, we want to preserve and respect the integrity of the house.  It's an older house and it's always going to look like an older house, that's part of it's appeal.  We didn't want to add anything to it that would stand out as too modern or out of place.  Instead, we decided that we want to use colors and materials that would highlight the features of the house that we were initially attracted to like the hardwood floors, the wide trim and the high ceilings.  We also want our design theme to flow cohesively throughout the house. Personally, I'm attracted to light neutrals with a few dark elements for contrast and accents of natural wood. So that's where we started.

Thinking about the kitchen specifically, we realize that most of it is a narrow galley space, so it's going to be important to incorporate as much light as possible. I'm drawn to the idea of white shaker style cabinets and subway tile backsplash. Of course, this is a very trendy theme right now, and while I'm sure that fact has some influence on my decision, at least subconsciously, I have other reasons for my choices as well. The look of shaker furniture is an accurate choice for the time period and craftsman style of the house, and after seeing the bulky dark cabinets in the original kitchen, I think that white would be a much better bet. I also want to do away with the cabinet between the two windows because I feel like it looked too bulky and obstructed too much of the view.  I think that a few open shelves for everyday items would make the space feel much more open and also provide an opportunity to add in another natural wood element. Subway tile as a backsplash is also a historically accurate material choice for the era of the house. Now, we're not too concerned with making every decision historically accurate, but I do want to incorporate some such elements where possible. Hardwood floors and a dark countertop and dark grout would add some warmth and contrast to the space and keep it from looking too sterile.  As far as appliances, I'm actually not a huge fan of stainless, but it seems to be our best option, and with Black Friday sales we were able to purchase them in advance for a good deal.

the kitchen before
the kitchen currently

We have had to nix a few ideas along the way.  For example, a farmhouse sink would have put us way over budget. I was also really attached to the idea of keeping the breakfast nook in the kitchen, but Riley was able to convince me that using the space for a fridge and cabinets would be much more practical. As it is, the galley part of the kitchen is simply too narrow to be able to open a fridge door and actually stand in front of it.  All in all though, our ideas for the kitchen came together really quickly and meshed pretty well. In fact, after seeing the house for the very first time I came right home and sketched out the kitchen exactly how I wanted it. This was way back in July, and for the most part, our design ideas haven't changed much. Our only design stalemate so far is specifically which color and style tile we want to use for our backsplash.  We'll see who wins that one…

Our cabinets are being built, and we have a plaster finisher lined up for later this week. I can't wait to see how our ideas for the kitchen come to life!

A lot of the work in the bathroom is happening in tandem with the kitchen, so I'll share some of our design ideas for that next!


10 comments:

  1. That exposed brick in the kitchen is to die for!! How beautiful...I can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping that I wouldn't regret it when I asked Riley if we could tear the plaster off of that chimney, but I do think it adds some character! Even if it is a little crooked. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your idea of the open shelving in between those windows, It will definitely open it up more and you style them really cute too!!! I cannot wait to see more (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh so exciting! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEE! SO glad you are doing that exposed brick. And you dont like stainless????? I REALLY hope we can go that route...I think they are def the best look. Personally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate it… I just don't love it. The problem is that I don't know of anything I would really like any better until they invent something new, haha. Of course, I could always go for some retro style appliances, but that wasn't really in the budget… :)

      Delete
  5. I love the arch and am so glad it is staying! And I have a special spot in my heart for open shelving with all the pretty dishes lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek I love that exposed brick you left in the kitchen! Can't wait to see how it all comes together! I'm not really a huge fan of stainless either!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...