Jan 6, 2015

the word of the year

New Year's Eve celebration in Roanoke's Market Square, complete with a raising of a replica of the Roanoke star in lieu of a ball drop


I've always loved the idea of a fresh start at the beginning of a new year. I like entertaining the thought of making specific resolutions and finding ways to stick to them throughout the year. But I usually never even follow through on the "specific resolutions" part. Instead, it seems to work best for me to think about a general mindset that I'd like to adopt, or maybe even a quality that I feel like I could work on.  I tried something like this about halfway through the year in 2014 and I feel like I can actually tell a difference in how I think and behave.

This year I think I'd like to pick a word as a kind of motto or theme for the year. This year's word is "savor." We have a ton of new and exciting changes ahead of us this year and it would be really easy to get impatient about their arrival. But one of the things that I learned first hand on our sailing trip was that it's about the journey and not just the destination. I am so excited to have our house be finished(ish) and move in, but I also think that the renovation process is pretty interesting itself. Sometimes the anticipation of a thing can be just as enjoyable as the thing itself. Of course, when it comes to the renovation, it's probably a lot easier to enjoy it when you're not the one actually doing the manual labor, but I do think that Riley is finding the process interesting as well.  At least, most of the time.

I would also like to savor these next several months of pregnancy as well. I realize that I haven't yet experienced those last few weeks, so this is very easy for me to say now. But I also have been fortunate to have an easy pregnancy so far, and I don't want to take that for granted.  Most recently, I find myself feeling really impatient for that next appointment when we will hopefully find out the gender, but instead I'm trying to enjoy the wondering part.  Life doesn't hold too many surprise quite like this, and  that fact is pretty exciting in and of itself if you think about it.

Life flies by fast enough as it is, so this year I want to make it my goal to embrace the moment and savor not only the exciting events, but all of the steps that lead us toward them along the way.

What about you?  Do you have a word or motto for this year, or any specific resolutions that you're working toward?


5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, that's a good word! You do have some major life changes coming up, so that one is totally fitting. :-)

    I didn't think of a word, but I made a list of goals like I do every year. One of them is to design my own fabric, so that should be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many bloggers adopt a word but never felt one impressed on my own mind. It's a lovely idea, though, and "savoring" is an admirable goal and vision for a new year. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is the first time I've ever chosen a specific word, so I'm excited to see how well it "sticks" this year. :)

      Delete
  3. I get very impatient for things. But you're right: the journey can be just as fun as the destination sometimes! Hope you get to savor it all this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great word for the year! And it's perfect for what's happening in your life right now. :)

    Mine is "imperfect." I'm a writer and an artist and I always expect my first drafts to be perfect and my sketchbook to be perfect, so imperfect is my reminder that these things won't be perfect, so I should embrace that and try to ignore my inner critic. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...