Apr 9, 2015

favorite cleaning tools and tips

Every spring and every fall I get the urge to deep clean everything. This year, because of moving and nesting, my Spring Cleaning Fever is at it's highest ever.  

Now that we've moved into a new house and we're expecting a baby, I've started to rethink some of my cleaning routines and strategies. I would typically devote one day to clean our entire house (which has never been very big before now) and use the standard armful of cleaners, each one full of chemicals and devoted to a single task. When I started thinking about cleaning the new house, with all of it's untouched surfaces, and thinking about a new baby having access to them, I knew that the priorities for my new cleaning routine would be to maximize efficiency and minimize toxicity.

I'd like to share some of the new tips and tools that I've learned about recently, and then I'd really like to hear about some of your favorites as well!


A friend recently introduced me to Clean Mama. After taking one look at her blog, I quickly followed her on Pinterest and Instagram. She seems to have a great cleaning system in place so that she doesn't ever spend an entire day cleaning her house from top to bottom. I'm loving following her on Instagram because she posts daily reminders of her cleaning task for the day. For example, Tuesday is dusting day and Wednesday is vacuuming day. She's also currently in the middle of a spring cleaning challenge, and posts daily reminders of the day's extra task as well. There's something kind of nice about having a community of people working alongside you on their cleaning chores! So far I'm loving this approach to cleaning and would highly recommend following along with her on Instagram!



I also recently had a family member introduce me to Norwex products. I don't fall easily for these types of things, but I was hooked quickly, and can honestly say that their products have made me much more excited about cleaning and also more excited about the end results. I started out with the Norwex microfiber cloths and polishing cloth, and they work wonders on my windows, countertops and stainless steel appliances. I will never use windex and paper towels or stainless steel cleaner again. I've already cut back on time and effort by not lugging around a variety of different cleaning products for each room of the house. The basic idea behind their microfiber is that it contains silver fibers, which have self-purification properties. This means that bacteria is being eliminated with just the cloth and a little water. I'm no salesperson, but I am currently hosting an online party for friends and family, and if you'd like more information or if you'd like to try it out for yourself, I'd be happy to give you more information or you can follow this link: Allison's Norwex Party.

That's just the beginning of my new cleaning routine, but I'm honestly pretty excited about it, and I can't think of any other time in my life when I could say that! I'd love to hear what some of your favorite cleaning tools and tips are as I try to put these new routines in place. 

What is your cleaning schedule like? Do you clean a little every day or devote a single day to cleaning?

Do you have any favorite "green" cleaning products or any favorite recipes of cleaners that you make yourself? 

What is your biggest struggle when it comes to cleaning?



8 comments:

  1. all I can say is those nesting hormones are no joke when it comes to cleaning! we had an old carpet runner that we inherited when we purchased our house in maine....when I was pregnant I swear I could smell that thing....one day it made me so crazy I ripped it out with my bare hands....and no back up plan as to what to put down. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of spring cleaning--it gets worse before it gets better, but there's nothing like finishing up to a clean and refreshing home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a terrible, terrible cleaner. Not that my apartment is full of trash or anything... but I'm just bad at sticking to a schedule. I'd be interested in more about the cleaning stuff you mentioned! I agree that with a little baby around, it would be good to use more natural stuff for cleaning. And with a house I'll have a much larger surface!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still struggling with sticking to a schedule, but breaking it down throughout the week is definitely helping me make progress! I'm loving using less cleaners in general, too. The Norwex has been working great for me and I've also heard great things about the H20 at Home products, but I have yet to try them myself. It's certainly a larger monetary investment up front, but I think it will really pay off in the long run.

      Delete
  4. I love cleaning! I think it's so relaxing! Those microfiber towels sound pretty great.

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can be relaxing! Especially when it's all done. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. Especially about the clothes. I am also hesitant. I have fallen for a few of those made for tv products and I am almost always disappointed. Several times I have been very pleased and so that is what keeps me hopeful and if a product does really seem like something I would use, I'll get it.

    German Zollinger @ Total Clean Equip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...